1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Unavailability

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by jesuisunefleur, May 1, 2012.

1. Does anyone else have an agency that keeps on ringing even though you've <u>explicitly stated</u> that you're unavailable to work on that day? It's starting to really get on my nerves.

2. Does anyone else have an agency that keeps on ringing even though you've <u>explicitly stated</u> that you're unavailable to work on that day? It's starting to really get on my nerves.

3. Oh, yes!

And NOT ringing on days when you've informed them you're available.

4. Yep, have started putting my phone on silent the mornings I am unavailable!

5. One of mine rang me one morning - can you work at X school?
    My reply - I already told you I was unavailable, I'm 300 miles away and I'm getting married this afternoon.
    Agency reply - oh yes, I'm an 1d1ot (for some reason that's swearfiltered on here)

6. Yes. I have amused people on Facebook this morning with my status. Agency rang ' good morning, I know you can't usually do last minute and you did tell us yesterday that you were unavailable today but can you get to that school you went to last week and said you didn't want to go to again in 20 muns as their teacher has gone off sick for the week'. My response was, I'm not surprised. I had told them yesterday that I had no childcare today and no car. They already know I can't take emergency calls as I have to ring my mum to see if she can child mind and then drop said child off en route to school, usually in opposite direction! They ring often in a morning and once just 12:30 for a 1pm start by which time I was just filling my shopping trolley in asda. I hate turning down work but they have been told frequently I need pre booked. They also seem to ring 8am on a Monday morning to check my availability and I explain it is the same as it was 5pm on Friday. Sometimes I am up but sometimes I am still in bed.

7. seza-lou

seza-lou New commenter

It sometimes feels like they do it on purpose to just be able to say "but we were thinking of you" really used to frustrate me when I did supply I was always very upfront when I couldn't work but I still got calls :(

8. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Both my current agencies are very good and do not do this but I've been with agencies in the past who did make a habit of calling on days I've said I wasn't free.
    I did suspect it was on purpose and they were checking up to see what I was doing that day.

9. I think you're right there.

I also hate it when they phone and say they 'may' have a booking tomorrow and to make sure you're ready at 7.30 (I always am) and then nothing materialises.

Also the " we have a school who's looking for someone for X weeks. Can we put your name forward?"
    a) I've already told them that I would like long term work.
    b) I don't hear anything about it again.

Don't you just love agencies!

10. And yet many of us are NOT GETTING <u>ANY</u> CALLS and have not received any for yonks and yonks and yonks??????
    Use the answerphone and put a message up!!!!

11. Pssssssssss...! Is the call centre operative getting commission for simply making calls?

12. mmm...Milk

mmm...Milk New commenter

I heard nothing from an agencybetween september and end of Feburary and then at 8.25 I get a phone call, can I work today? errr.... no, because I have nothing prepared, have other things planned and you haven't contacted me for months. Anyway, I have told you I need to be pre booked. OK, thats fine. Nothing further heard. 8.25 on Monday morning the phone rang, as I was bundling the kids out of the door. Ignored it. 8.45 this morning!!!! I missed the call. I reckon if they are ringing at that time they must be very desperate, and if no one else wants it, it isn't going to be good!

13. I think some staff just ring in sick quite late hence the 8:45 calls, especially if the school business manager is left to organise and doesn't come in til later!! Had nothing all week. Averinging now £50 a week wage, should I just sign on??

14. Every school I've ever worked in we've had to call in sick by about 7.15ish - usually ringing the head at home before they leave for school so they can ring and book supply asap from home. One morning I got a call from a school very close to me, so got straight in the car and was there in 2 minutes (love those sorts of calls!)... I actually beat the head who'd booked me into school by a good 15 minutes - they were most confused how I'd managed it until I mentioned I actually lived in the school catchment!
    I think some of the really late calls come from schools ringing one agency who can't find anyone, then ringing another - or I guess staff who roll in when they should have stayed off and are promptly sent home sick (yes I've done this in my time, but I ended up teaching the morning with the class sick bucket on my lap until cover could be sorted out - one of my class were so sympathetically waiting to see if I puked as "cor I've never seen a teacher puke before - it'll be cool"... thanks guys!)

15. Not all head teachers do this. My last proper job the head never gave us his number and he wouldn't be at school til at least quarter to 8. We would ring school in the hope someone would answer as the caretaker opened up around 7. I often sat waiting for an answer at school gone 8am!!