1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Unaccompanied Children in The Jungle

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Alf58, Feb 29, 2016.

1. Alf58

Alf58 Established commenter

I gather from various news reports that there about 250 unaccompanied children in the Calais Jungle. I am slightly puzzled by this. How could these children make this horrific dangerous journey from Syria, Libya, Eritrea or wherever entirely unaccompanied? Did all their accompanying relatives die on the journey? How likely is it they were accompanied but they have decided or been advised that the best way to get into the UK is to claim they are unaccompanied then once in the UK, the case for their relatives being allowed in becomes compelling? Am I just being cynical?

It is alleged these unaccompanied children have “connections” with the UK. What does this actually mean? If their parents are established in the UK then fair enough but what if their “connections” are less clear? What does the law say? How can these “connections” be proved beyond doubt? Are there any unaccompanied children who do not have "connections" to the UK? By the law of averages there must be.

Grassroots_Out likes this.
  2. Alf58

As I am subject to moderation I will be unable to be involved in a real time discussion but I am interested in everyone's opinions.

Grassroots_Out likes this.
  3. Vladimir

Vladimir Senior commenter

I remember this coming up before. Some say that the unaccompanied children (and are we talking actual children here or men in their twenties pretending to be children?) might be a ruse like a Trojan Horse to get into the UK whereupon, magically, the parents will appear, and need to be let in for humanitarian reasons and human rights (yawn!), then members of the extended family.

UpperCrustChap likes this.
  4. UpperCrustChap

UpperCrustChap New commenter

No. I don;t think you are. From what I understand about the situation is that increasing numbers of unaccompanied children are sent ahead by their parents from various countries in order that the child be given permission to stay and then send for their parents shortly after. I remember reading recently that child migrants are given a higher allowance than adult migrants and this has led to migrants claiming to be under 18 years of age. But this in turn has resulted in genuine child migrants being threatened and bullied, and in some horrific cases actually raped by fellow migrants posing themselves as children.

If there is any cynicism involved, and it seems clear that there is, it comes from the parents of the migrant children who are sent ahead on a dangerous journey halfway around the world by itself and used to play on the natural sympathies of people of other countries towards young children. Disgusting motives.

Grassroots_Out and Alf58 like this.
  5. Alf58

So, you are a child alone and frightened and living in squalor in the Jungle camp. Why not seek asylum in France or indeed the first safe country you arrived in thereby avoiding the misery? Is there no legislation that enables countries to give citizenship to unaccompanied children based on the assumption that if they are under 16 they are legally unable to understand the finer points of international law regarding asylum and therefore cannot be in a position to choose. it is all so odd.

Vladimir likes this.
  6. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Can you post the links? (I'm not being disrespectful here but am genuinely curious).

Thanks

7. Alf58

8. UpperCrustChap

That should be the case with orphans but there seems to be few of those. Most it seems have parents who send them ahead, probably with instructions to keep travelling until they reach the country the parents themselves want to settle in. What kind of parents would put their child in such a dangerous position is beyond my understanding.

There may be with orphans but not with non-orphans. It's no doubt extremely complicated if the state takes over the welfare of a child while parents may make a claim on the child at a later date. The parents would have to claim the child and either come and collect it and then return to their country or the child would be sent back unaccompanied in the event of an unsuccessful fabrication concocted by the parents. And what would happen if the child had been given instructions not to give any information on the whereabouts of the parents until the fabrication had proved successful?

To the authorities it must seem easier to let the child go on its way until it reaches the chosen country and can then claim for the parents to join him/her where it then becomes another country's responsibility. Rather like playing pass the parcel only on a massive scale as recent numbers prove.

Vladimir and Grassroots_Out like this.
  9. UpperCrustChap

Many have been adults according to recent reports.

This too has happened all over Europe. And indeed the 'parents' may magically disappear once the intended 'child'/adult has been safely delivered into 'enemy' territory to enact Holy Jihad.

Vladimir and Grassroots_Out like this.