1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Unacceptable behaviour - What next?

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by hoppysparrow, Mar 25, 2011.

1. I’d appreciate some advice about my class situation.
    I am an NQT teacher a KS1 class. I have been struggling with a particular child in my class who has been an issue since nursery. A day rarely goes by where this child doesn’t disrupt part or all of the day. I appreciate he has had a bad start to life and there are home issues but I don’t feel that what I am being asked to put up with is acceptable. I have tried a number of praise/sanction combinations but none works for more than a few weeks. This child has to be restrained for the safety of other children and to prevent disruption beyond intervention, sometimes several times a day. Other challenging children in the class respond to his attention getting behaviour by upping their own low level disruption and I can see their point in that he is getting much much more of my attention than them!
    I sort of have support from colleagues but there does not seem to be appropriate sanctions available. Exclusion has happened but doesn’t have appeared to have had an impact i.e. following day disrupted 3 lessons and hurt another child. The sanction imposed by higher powers was an apology to me and the hurt child and then being allowed to join back in.
    I have come home scratched, bruised and upset and have experienced swearing, spitting, hitting and kicking. What do I do next? Union? Resign? Can I refuse to have him in my class.
    Sorry for the rant – it’s taken Friday a long time to arrive this week. Any ideas?

2. This is not something you could reasonably be expected to deal with yourself. It is the class teacher's responsibility to deal with everyday classroom management; low-level misbehaviour, chatting and the like. This is so far beyond that, it becomes a school management issue. The child is clearly has problems and is in need of the kind of support and help that the class teacher has neither the time nor expertise to give. You need to insist that the school management face up to their responsibility on this matter.