1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Unable to return to work due to sickness

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by kaytetheatre, Jun 7, 2011.

1. I am due to return to work next week, but am sufferering terrible with anxiety (postnatal depression Doctor has said). i can't sleep, stop crying and hate the thought of someone holding my baby.

Due to circumstances my arranged return to work date is before the end of my maternity leave entitlement.
    Will i still be eligable to recieve sick pay. i have heard that they don't treat post natal as sickness!!
    Also to add to the pressure the school is not renewing my contract in Sept, so i have this to contend with. will i be eligable for sick pay still, even though i will officially be unemployed?

i'm in a complete mess and don't know how to deal with this!
    please pass on any advice/ knowledge or information you have.

2. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

You can go from maternity pay to sick pay but you will need to be signed off by your doctor.
    I don't know who you mean by they - if you mean your school please don't worry. If your doctor says you are not fit to work then you will be on sick leave and eligible for sick pay until your contract expires.
    I doubt this very much - certainly your school's obligation to pay you ends when your contract ends. However, check with the CAB to find out what you are entitled to - you may be entitled to certain other benefits if your family are on a low income because you are unable to work.
    Finally and most importantly, wishing you a speedy recovery.

3. how long have you been employed by them. i heard that after two years you're entitled to a permanent contract but i'm not sure if that's true. your union would know.