1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Unable to return to work after maternity leave

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by Alix_Whyte, Oct 21, 2017.

1. Alix_Whyte

Alix_Whyte New commenter

I have a week left of maternity leave and I still feel unable to return. Due to severe morning sickness (Hyperemesis Gravidarum) I was put on early maternity leave, so baby is not yet 5 months old, and I am still struggling with side effects from a disaster of a C-Section.

My quandary is that I was planning to return and immediately give notice (I only have to give 1 months’ notice as I am support staff) as my husband and I would like to move to be closer to baby’s grandparents for suppprt.

If I return from maternity leave straight to sick leave, I know that my sick pay will kick in and I will be considered ‘back at work’, but could they claim my maternity package back from me?

I fully intended to return and work my notice, but it just doesn’t seem I will be able to in my current state.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I think you need to speak to your Union and get advice specific to your situation.