1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Unable to restrain after operation

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by hoglett, Apr 14, 2020.

1. hoglett

hoglett New commenter

HI there, I work in a PRU and after a recent operation I am unlikely to be able to ever restrain a student...does anybody know how this might affect things. I am waiting for an Occupational Health assessment.

2. R13

R13 Occasional commenter

I can understand your concern and haste to know what is to happen - the assessment however is crucial - as is the knowledge and understanding of the role by the OH professional. In the past I have had OH assessments on special School LSAs where it seemed as if the OH think LSAs sit at the back of the class with a child struggling to read - rather than a whole range of active tasks

3. cmonins86

cmonins86 New commenter

I work in SEMH setting so similar responsibility in regards to physical intervention. I had pacemaker implanted two years ago and no longer allowed. There is risk assessment in place and all staff are aware I'm not allowed.
    I have done one since my operation but recognised that I should have removed myself but that's me being stubborn.
    It's been hard after all these years to let others take place in that situation as we know they do occur. Hope you're recovering well after your operation

4. artbinki

artbinki New commenter

I have only today been allowed to rtw after 7 months waiting and on half pay due to OH not having a clear understanding of ny job.

1. Whatever you do, it is what is on your job description which counts, Is 'the ability to restrain a child on your JD when you were employed?
    2 Be aware OH can cause you to lose your job if you are not very clear with them