1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

un-wanted equipment - who owns it?

Discussion in 'Music' started by starfluf, May 18, 2011.

1. Hi all

In our departement we have a very poorly Beckstein grand piano, an electronic drumkit and a laptop trolley that are surplus to requirements. Does the music department have the right to sell these things on to raise money for other things such as software, buying a nice yamaha upright and a good drumkit (normal not electronic)? At some point the department have purchased these things (before the appointment of myself and my colleague). Any suggestions as to how to move forward?
    Thanks in advance

2. Hi all

In our departement we have a very poorly Beckstein grand piano, an electronic drumkit and a laptop trolley that are surplus to requirements. Does the music department have the right to sell these things on to raise money for other things such as software, buying a nice yamaha upright and a good drumkit (normal not electronic)? At some point the department have purchased these things (before the appointment of myself and my colleague). Any suggestions as to how to move forward?
    Thanks in advance

3. We have to apply to make any unwanted items 'redundant'. We can then give them away but selling is a lot more complicated!!!!!!!!

4. Hi Jennymus. Well with the old purse strings firmly tightening I thought I'd try to give it a shot to bring some fresh equipment in that would have an impact that otherwise we might not be able to afford. Who do you approach about applying for 'redundancy'? Why is selling more complicated?

5. I completely understand that it seems to make sense to sell old stuff gathering dust to bring in new equipment. You may not find that your system is anything like ours but we have lots of red tape. It needs to be a certain age to be considered redundant, we also can't just put stuff on eBay or similar type sites. I'd check with your management and assuming they're in agreement speak to your finance department to find out how you would go about using it to raise funds.

6. we have new management and have been told to go down routes of fundraising so I'd hope they'd encourage us to sell as long as we can justify outcomes of subsequent purchases... Well I'll find out anyway where we stand!