1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

UMS - utterly confused

Discussion in 'English' started by sasha79, Aug 29, 2011.

1. I am utterly confused by the UMS for the new WJEC specification. I have grasped the concept behind it etc but I cannot convert students' raw scores into the UMS equivalents and I am now wondering whether this is possible. Is anyone else having similar trouble or is it just me?

If a unit has a raw score 80 but the UMS is 60, how on earth do I convert the numbers to get grades? Please somebody help.

2. It has to be possible - after all, if the board converts raw to UMS, it must be possible to do it the other way around. How on earth you do it, I don't know.

3. sunflower48

sunflower48 New commenter

I have been looking at my grades today and am also totally confused. I was trying to work out who had to do what in Year 11 and what the UMS marks were, but did not fathom it out.
    I also understand that they can take the examination one more time and that I will then have to put their controlled assessments in at the same time, what happens if they get a lower mark? can they take the mark they got in their first attempt if it is higher? Can anybody explain? I was thinking that as they have taken the exam once that I may leave it until the June exam in Year 11 for them to retake as it will give us more time to do exam skills etc. How is anyone doing this? Arthur you seem to be good at seeing the bigger picture what are your thoughts on this please?

4. sunflower48

sunflower48 New commenter

Arthur, are you about to give your thoughts please?

5. Centres have access to both raw marks and the UMS conversion for the two units in GCSE English / English Language and one unit in GCSE English Literature sat this summer. Raw mark boundaries have also been provided. This information is available through the WJEC secure website; please see your exams officer for details of how to access.

6. It is not possible accurately to convert controlled assessment raw marks to UMS at this stage as grade boundaries will not be set until these units are awarded for the first time next summer.