1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Umbrella scam

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Teslasmate, May 22, 2019.

1. Teslasmate

Teslasmate Occasional commenter

Interesting conversation with an agency today. It's one I haven't worked for yet, but have been signed with for a few months. They offered a gig under umbrella. I explained I do not work for umbrella companies.
    I was interested that the agent didn't bother arguing, and said that lots of people feel the same way and she was reporting this issue to management repeatedly.
    Maybe the message is finally getting through. They won't offer PAYE, but it appears they are losing a lot of business because of it. Hopefully they will see sense.

2. lynneseptember

lynneseptember Established commenter

One can always hope, but since when have agencies shown sense?

DexterDexter and agathamorse like this.
  3. freshfriesan

freshfriesan New commenter

I wish I'd never let them pay me this way. Just been screwed over switching umbrella companies. Looking for a way to report the agencies for their shtite ways now to be honest. This year has been dreadful for me. I have found their basic decency and respect disgraceful. I'm looking for an ombudsman.

4. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

1 Can anyone recommend reputable supply agencies - for me it would be Hays (it was years ago anyway)?
    2 Can anyone recommend a decent umbrella company?
    3 Can anyone recommend a reputable agency that doesn't insist on using an umbrella?

Thanks!
    I'm just trying to re-enter the profession post-retirement.

pepper5 likes this.
  5. TheOracleAtDelphi

TheOracleAtDelphi Occasional commenter

Hello grumpydogwoman :)

Unfortunately Tes won't let us name agencies (although I know jesmond got away with it a while back but that was the Tes-owned one!). My agency is very good in my region - and are PAYE - but I don't know what their branches are like elsewhere. They also insist on using an app which may or may not be your cup of tea. If you tell us roughly where you are in the country, somebody local will probably message you with some suggestions...

6. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

Hi grumpy dog woman.

My waterside plant named agency do PAYE - they also offer umbrella. The name is sometimes a part of Woodwind instruments.

I thought it was illegal not to offer PAYE.

pepper5 likes this.