1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Umbrella companies

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nams786, Sep 22, 2019.

1. nams786

nams786 New commenter

Which umbrella company is the best one to use?

Currently I use Key Portfolio.

2. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

The one that tells you "please feel free to dispense with our services and receive your money PAYE, it is your choice and your right".
    That's the one I'd use.

3. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Jolyon Maugham QC, an employment tax expert, said many umbrella companies were simply an attempt to circumvent the law.

He said: "What people don't realise is that these companies are simply mechanisms whereby workers are stripped of rights they would otherwise have and the taxman loses out on tax that would otherwise be collected."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-39058166

4. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

I was about to recommend Aspinal of London, but I fear I may have misunderstood:
    upload_2019-9-22_9-21-19.jpeg

5. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

The Reece Douglas alert level has increased to amber. Probably a false alarm but you never know..

6. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Bought a very good umbrella from Liberty's once...Does that make them an 'Umbrella Company'?;)

nomad likes this.
  7. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Now that this seems to have evolved into a oneupmanship of brollies thread-
    I've got a Fulton Automatic. it's the only thing I've ever owned which is posh, it's proper anti-insideoutable
    Queen Elizabeth has one too. I know this for sure,because I only ever read the quality press.
    Thing is,every other brolly I've ever owned has gone missing within 3 times of me taking it anywhere,so I wont actually take my Fulton anywhere.. On rainy days I stand and look at it in the mirror, in fact I'm typing now underneath it,open, in my study. I don't care about any bad luck it's supposed to bring, because it's me in charge of my life, not my umbrella.

Umbrella Companies which are open and indoors-that's bad luck any which way you see it.

8. RepelloInimicum

RepelloInimicum Lead commenter

Is it just me that has googled umbrella companies and am still none the wiser?:confused:

Aquamarina1234 likes this.
  9. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

You mean you don't know what one is?
    A Google search shows me ok, the info screen summary on the right says it all. (Perhaps you are seeing just the initial search results,which are literally companies who sell umbrellas.)
    They are payroll companies who process payments to agency staff,pay tax, NI,a pension (not teachers') etc. Agencies who use Umbrella companies are rewarded by the umbrella company,and contracted for sole use Pivotally,Umbrella companies levy a fee from the teacher's payment for doing so-so as a supply teacher you have to pay to be paid. You are also employed by the UmbrellaCompany, and not by the agency, and if you read a typical contract, it can extend to a hundred pages of caveats to do with how you work, which,surprise surprise, all work in their favour. (Example-if your pay is delayed through technical fault with the standard transferral process and you still wish to be paid on time eg by one off BACs,you can achieve this but must pay £20 for the service).
    In short, a non functional profit driven middle man which reduces your take home pay-you do the same work for less,they do less work than anybody in the chain, for more money than anybody. They are evil.
    They ought to be illegal and yet are becoming more frequent.
    (just like property management companies who dream up fees for nothing in return)

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
  10. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I didn't know what one was either. When I worked for Bradford Council, they paid Serco to "manage" things. Is that an umbrella company? I remember they weren't going to get a bonus for not meeting targets, so Bradford kindly lowered the targets.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-16543755

RepelloInimicum likes this.
  11. RepelloInimicum

RepelloInimicum Lead commenter

Thanks for explaining @sbkrobson. Am still not entirely sure - but that could be because it is Sunday, which is my brain's day off :rolleyes:

12. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

I thought it was genuinely about umbrellas (what keep the rain off), or dodgy sites you may buy stuff off ebay via.

13. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

@nomad Schools and other employers have nobody but themselves to blame. They don't want to employ staff directly, even though they can easily set up a bank of supply teachers if they chose to and pay for a company or individual to do the PAYE deductions, especially for long term sickness and maternity covers. Instead they wish to keep workers/teachers at arms length in order to avoid all possible liabilities that come with being a direct employer i.e. holiday, pension, sickness, PAYE and all associated protected employment rights.

The result being the cost of providing cover in schools is now sky high and agencies and UCs are making a killing and workers/teachers are receiving LESS pay and have no rights when injustices occur as the UC was their employer, NOT the agency and NOT the school. Also, if there is a legal claim the UC can say, 'We did did nothing your honour,':oops: as they were only collecting money and the school, agency and UC can gang up against the worker/teacher and state whatever.

Avoid using UCs and insist on being paid by the agency. If the agency ONLY insists you use a UC - walk!

Also, be very, very wary of agencies that INSIST you use ONLY one UC. This means the agency is getting a cut on the admin fee you are paying to the UC because they have an exclusive contract with them.

14. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

Beware of the Umbrella corporation

[​IMG]

15. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Whatever happened to the County List? I did supply for seven years when my kids were small. You registered as a supply teacher with the LEA and were put on a list. The person in charge of supply had The List and rang up either someone they particularly wanted, or just went down the list until someone was available. Supply teachers got paid to scale. No overheads, simply maybe 20 mins work for a lowly SMT. AND you could sign on over the hoildays!

16. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

3/4 years ago I was told by my then agency that the law had changed and I had to register with a UC. I took advice and was told it was rubbish. I asked the agency to quote me chapter and verse of this 'law'. I heard nothing more about it!!

17. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

Nevertheless the costs to the school are less which is why they do it.

18. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Steer well clear of umbrella companies. They'll never be to your benefit. I speak from experience.

Dragonlady30 likes this.