1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ulysses Poem/ Him as a villain

Discussion in 'English' started by msv, Feb 9, 2016.

1. msv

msv New commenter

Hi all,

I'm currently guiding a student I tutor complete his CA and it's on comparing how Macbeth and Ulysses are presented as both heroes and villains, now this isn't so much an issue with Macbeth- it's quite easy if anything, but I'm really struggling to see how Ulysses is presented as villain in Tennyson's poem. It seems a bit harsh of a word. If anyone has any interpretations of how he may come across as being 'villainous' then I'd really appreciate it.

Thank you in advance.

2. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

His utter contempt for his son - damned with faint praise.
    His rejection of his wife and community - one old and barren and the other mere savages.
    And then where's he going? He presents it as the heroic quest but he's just off chasing adventure because he's bored - either that or he's committing suicide in a particularly lengthy way (again dressing it up as heroism) because can't face the domestic chores.
    And so vain.

3. defenceagainstthedarkarts

defenceagainstthedarkarts Occasional commenter

Well, now that Flere has ruined one of my favourite poems ;) - I would approach in a similar way, especially considering they are both fallen heroes so to speak: one due to age (!) and the other due to his wife, though that's arguable of course.

4. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

It's one of my favourites too. But he is just a big baby having a mid life crisis.

5. msv

msv New commenter

Haha! Great.

Many thanks to both of you for your guidance :)