1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

[UKonly] When do you tell your students that failing to get a 'C' means 2 more years of Maths?

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by mature_maths_trainee, Dec 4, 2014.

1. mature_maths_trainee

mature_maths_trainee New commenter

Do schools generally publicise or mention to students the fact that, if they don't get a GCSE grade C they'll be required to continue studying Maths post-16? (poss. for 2 years)

I'm specifically wondering whether it's mentioned as an incentive/threat to some students. In Year 11, or even much earlier in KS3 when most really have a chance to address it? Is it mentioned in an ad hoc manner by individual teachers as and when, or is the message nowadays presented more formally by schools?

I'm just returning to Secondary after a couple of years in a 6th form college, and really don't know how the issue is handled.

MMT

2. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

Just wondering...

Is it actually accurate?

What's coming and when it's coming have left be confused so that I stay away from saying anything very much on this but does anyone here (DM?) know what the position is?

What is happening to maths post-16?

Core Maths is available from next September (being piloted now) - but it's an option, not compulsory, isn't it?

Financial Studies will still be around.

AIUI, Children of Compulsory School age are expected to "work towards" GCSE, but post-16 isn't CSA as the school leaving age hasn't actually risen.

What actually is the position?

3. DM

DM New commenter

It is compulsory for 16-18 year olds to work towards GCSE post-16 if they don't have A* to C in maths and English. There are appropriate 'stepping stone' qualifications such as Functional Skills for low attainers but the ultimate goal should still be GCSE. From next year those with a D grade have no choice other than GCSE. Students without 'threshold qualifications' attract no funding unless their programme of study includes maths and/or English.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/338287/16-19_conditions_of_funding_mEng_v2.pdf

'Core Maths' is just another option for post-16 study. There is no compulsion here but there is a performance measure regarding uptake.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/launch-of-new-high-quality-post-16-maths-qualifications

4. PFCDaz

PFCDaz New commenter

Core maths is aimed at students who have achieved a C in maths GCSE, but for whom an AS/A level is inappropriate, the tech bacc performance measure includes core maths as an option, and a more general performance measure that includes the proportion of students studying a maths qualification post 16 is likely to appear at some point.

Core maths has UCAS points equivalent to an AS level so should be a genuine alternative option for students who may need some maths but not the calculus of a full AS/A level

5. slstrong123

slstrong123 New commenter

Y12s have to retake maths if they did not get a C. This is compulsory at our school and the local FE colleges. I keep telling my Y10s and Y11s to keep this in mind when they are having a lazy moment - if they really don't like maths and want to move on, make sure they get their C grade. I did read something in TES suggesting that the Government may be rethinking this, but I could have been wrong.