1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ukip want to ban the burqa and sharia law!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by delmamerchant, Apr 23, 2017.

1. delmamerchant

delmamerchant Established commenter

I am watching with interest what is going to happen re the Islamic religion in Turkey now, Ihad always considered it to be quite a liberal country. Many of the population have integrated into England without issues that we are discussing. Having banned Wikipedia, are they now going to move towards a stricter enforcement of Islamic traditions and ideology?

2. NoseyMatronType

NoseyMatronType Lead commenter

This older, anecdotal but still revealing article may shed some light on that question:

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/02/08/cover-story-personal-history-elif-batuman

A mate of mine teaches in Turkey. He reckons it's horrendous there right now. For example, those on Erdogan's lists have lost their jobs and have no comparable means of supporting themselves. It's like McCarthyism, or the fate suffered by Tomas in Milan Kundera's novel The Unbearable Lightness of Being.

Apparently, there was no real public opposition to the decision to grant Erdogan more powers as people and institutions were afraid to speak out.

And when my friend was passing through passport control, he noted that Turkish nationals were getting their passports checked multiple times, again to see if they were on some kind of blacklist and were fleeing the country.

Please note that I may have got some of the details wrong in what I have stated above. It's my memory of a conversation that's a week old.

Well done to Theresa May for cosying up to Erdogan. It's usually Corbyn who gets stick for that.

lanokia likes this.
  3. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

No
    Or rather, not in this case. (That would only be for the really hot days and anyway I find normal factor 50 applied properly is sufficient)

I actually mean a complete veil over my face and neck largely for the purpose of disguise. As I stated if does have other benefits as well

4. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

You keep bees?

5. Didactylos4

No :D
    I attempt to observe and record wildlife (usually with cameras/videos). The veil, a heavy duty midge mask, breaks up the shape of the human face rendering it less identifiable to most creatures. (including fellow humans as it happens)
    It also keeps the bugs away from my face and prevents the torture of trying not to waft them away and scare off the wildlife.
    I have also found that it helps to retain my admittedly limited good looks if they aren't disfigured by angry lumps caused by stings and bites. I do need a lot of help in that direction :oops:

6. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Just a quick google search suggests women's right have improved considerably in Turkey over the past decades with a great deal of positive rights legislation passed.
    perhaps that will now start going in reverse, but Erdogan is very popular amongst women.

7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

While I'm sure it'd be very easy to cherry pick facts to support either position I find facts like 66 women murder in 2002 increasing to 953 in 2009 disturbing [ LINK ]. This trend then reversed but has recently started to increase again [ LINK ] with the Umut foundation describing the situation as one of ''mass murder women''.

Meanwhile women's rate of employment has dropped over the course of the last 20 years from 32% to 27%. And that's during a population increase of 25 million.
    [​IMG]

As well rape is used by security forces as a weapon against women [ LINK ]. Attitudes towards rape in the police force indicate 33% of police think rape victims [ LINK ] 'deserve rape'. The rape and murder of Özgcan Aslan in 2015 springs to mind.

upload_2017-5-1_17-4-45.png
    Meanwhile 42% of Turkish women have been domestically or sexual assaulted by their partner [ LINK ]

At the same time honour killings and human trafficking, especially in the era of the Syrian refugee crisis, remain at high levels.

Obviously there are positives... literacy rates are up, education is generally improving ... and depending on how you view it, facial coverings/ head coverings are in decline as of 2012... if that continues remains to be seen. The legal status of headscarves is one of increasing liberalisation in Universities, Government work and the military. As universities only permitted it from 2011 I would suspect it will become more common.

8. delmamerchant

delmamerchant Established commenter

I see.

9. Didactylos4

You have better vision than most then :D

delmamerchant likes this.