1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ukip want to ban the burqa and sharia law!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by delmamerchant, Apr 23, 2017.

1. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

They wouldn't be helped by a ban in this country, though.

2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Don't recall where I claimed that was the case... please.. highlight that part for me...

3. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I didn't say you did, what you say is true, I was just commenting.

4. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

There is an interesting video on Facebook where you have to guess the religion of the women wearing head coverings. I tried to post a link but it came through on my Facebook account and I didn't know how to get rid of that. Interesting though.

5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Ah... sorry...

Thing is when the veil was banned, in pre-Revolutionary Iran and Attaturk's Turkey, women did have it better than they do in modern Turkey and Iran.

I'm not arguing a ban would be beneficial... we have freedoms enshrined in law to protect Muslim women... just worth bearing in mind.

6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

When the forces of Islam invaded the Byzantine [Eastern Roman Empire] they invaded lands where upper class noble women wore veils as a status symbol. Only a lower sort of woman would go out in public with her face exposed.

Just saying...

7. kty

kty New commenter

It was interesting to hear a muslim academic explain his objection to face coverings. He explained that it has nothing to do with Islam, except for one interpretation by the Wahabbi culture which is widely disputed across the world. Women must remove the veil to pray five times a day. When making the Hajj to Mecca, women are not allowed into the holy city if they are wearing a face covering.

8. Burndenpark

Burndenpark Star commenter

Probably concerned that they'll send in a ringer- like they do at Delmamerchant's school.

delmamerchant and Didactylos4 like this.
  9. delmamerchant

delmamerchant Established commenter

Maybe we should be more like France.
    Westernised also refers to black and brown people who were born here-but that is another conversation about perception:).
    I detest that term 'coconut' it is ridiculous! It seems that some people do not realise that, that disgusting, derogatory term suggest that one should not progress...in other words, tit would also apply to them it they considered how far away from their roots they are:(:mad:

Yes, I agree the age of covering up seems to be getting much younger.

Also, during a year 7 interview a father wanted me to tell his daughter that the headscarf is a compulsory part of the school uniform. I refused to do so.:):D. Many students are forced to wear it to school as we get many complaints from parents about their child not wearing it. We are a secular school, the scarf is offered due to cultural sensitivity, it is not compulsory. This leads me to infer that some are forced. Also, when we have a non uniform day, the number of girls wearing the head scarf and salwar kameez is negligible compared to the numbers who wear it as part of the uniform.

Thanks for participating:)

10. delmamerchant

:D:D:D:):):)

11. delmamerchant

Ironic!!!

12. mathsman

mathsman Occasional commenter

[​IMG]

It'll get a bit painful for some other minority groups too

13. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

14. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

InkyP likes this.
  15. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I have concerns about women being forced into wearing religious symbols they do not want to, and about coercion in general. As I read your post, though, it reminded me of all the girls who come into my school and immediately whip out a mobile beauty salon to cover themselves in extra bits of hair and apply layers of make up. Their parents complain sometimes that we don't enforce a "no-make up" rule.

16. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

That quiz just goes to show that the various headcoverings mostly originated for reasons of the weather. They protected against sun, wind and/or sandstorms.

InkyP likes this.
  17. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

As the weather is now warming up, I will be soon regularly wandering around in public wearing what equates to a full face veil.
    And yes, it will be mostly for the purposes of disguising my identity
    Though it has other advantages :D

18. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Youre saying that women had better rights and freedoms under the Shah of Iran than in modern Turkey? Are you sure about that?

19. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

No I'm saying the rights of women in Turkey and Iran have worsened in recent decades.

20. delmamerchant

let me guess. Massive sun glasses and a wide, floppy brimmed hat, with the coloured sun cream smeared on butnot rubbed in:D