1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ukip want to ban the burqa and sharia law!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by delmamerchant, Apr 23, 2017.

1. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Safer than doing without though

I haven't worn open-face since 1972 for, I suspect, similar reasons.
    I still have the scars

2. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Good point, this is pretty much their last chance. They will soon all have to get off the EU gravy train they pretend to despise so much while doing as little work as they can but claiming all the expenses. If they don't get any MP's, they will be reduced to local councillors campaigning for err....

InkyP and jubilee like this.
  3. Burndenpark

Burndenpark Star commenter

Sorted then, all we need to do is insist that hijabs etc have 105° or more range of vision and maybe kite mark them as being suitable for driving.

Thanks- I'm not surprised.

4. Didactylos4

:D:D:D

5. Burndenpark

Burndenpark Star commenter

If the argument is
    "The issue should be whether, as a society, we permit face covering in public or not.

While, as a species, we clothe ourselves, the face is the primary means of recognition of other individuals. Fact!

It needs to remain uncovered, other than for medical and/or industrial reasons, of course."

Then the response was serious- or at least no more stupid that the argument about the need to keep faces uncovered for purposes of recognition.

6. Didactylos4

I should also add that the last time anyone checked the legality of my motorcycle helmet was in 1976. (Once in 40 years)
    And that was before the rules on peripheral vision were mooted.

When my eyesight was last checked for driving my peripheral vision was not tested (it has been since for other reasons)
    I have never seen (or heard of)* peripheral vision being tested at the roadside

*added by edit

7. nomad

nomad Star commenter

[​IMG]

Possibly

8. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

That photo of the woman on the moped-thingy makes a mockery of:

"Take out those dangly earrings for PE. They're an accident waiting to happen."

Mangleworzle likes this.
  9. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

It's as if Isadora Duncan died in vain.

10. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

"Tie your hair back, girl. It's a health and safety hazard!"

(Hair tied back is one of my bugbears.)

11. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Loose hair + hairspray + proximity to bunsen flame = novel way of dealing with long hair. Burnt hair odour is not my favourite smell. But it does get a point across.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  12. Calpurnia99

Calpurnia99 Star commenter

Nah please yourself. Swish your hair into the gas cooker flame or let it get tangled in the mixer. Don't bother with the oven gloves either if you can't be bothered - singeing flesh smells just like barbecue! Yummy!

Except guess whose fault it turns out to be if that happens? All the girls in hijab simply tied it back.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  13. delmamerchant

delmamerchant Established commenter

No commento_O

14. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

So therefore UKIP will get enough votes to carry out their legislation regarding face covering and Sharia law? I am confident you are mistaken.

15. delmamerchant

My perception is that we have to stop discussing the motor cycle helmet, it is specifically designed as a safety measure with quite a wide visor. You are also required to take it off when entering certain buildings.

The burqa covers the face but the niqab , worn by Muslim women (it has got to be ok to state this without being accused of being islamaphobic) is cloth, covers the whole body. It is cultural attire, not religious.

In one school I worked in pupils were asked not to wear it as a matter of safe guarding: we need to be able to identify who is coming into the school. We used to be quite lenient until some students were found to be snuggling strangers into the school, other students/persons taking exams, listening to music with head phones in during lessons and the funniest one, pretending to be a friend's parent at parent's evening:) -how I wish these creative students would transfer this ingenuity into their studies.:)

In allowing it, we then had to deal with outrage when we asked to see the student's face. The extremes we had to go to, to make clear that it could not be worn in the school building was untold.

Please don't say, 'it is only a few Muslim students that do this' it only takes one stranger with negative intent to create a disaster.

But I digress.

Any views on Sharia law?

Rozario123 likes this.
  16. Didactylos4

Really
    Can I ask where this occurred?
    Just roughly No need for identifying details

17. delmamerchant

Yes, really.

18. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I think you've got these the wrong way round, the burqa, worn by Afghan women, is blue and covers the entire body with a mesh face panel. The niqab, usually black, covers the face below the eyes and is worn with hijab.

19. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

There shouldn't have been any problem showing their faces to a female member of staff.

20. Didactylos4

How very interesting