1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ukip want to ban the burqa and sharia law!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by delmamerchant, Apr 23, 2017.

1. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

A woman wearing this driving a car would be unsafe, someone posted on this forum recently about being involved in an accident with a woman wearing some kind of veil that restricted her peripheral vision.

2. Burndenpark

Burndenpark Star commenter

That's incidental, women could dress as they pleased*.

*Although it's possible that the burkur was banned- donno?

3. Burndenpark

I'd have classed that more as fancy dress than make up

4. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Many fancy dress outfits would be unsafe if you were driving. Why not look at laws on driving rather than women's clothing?

InkyP likes this.
  5. Mangleworzle

You are quoting me out of context, I was responding to a previous poster.

6. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I know. But the principle is the same. Any clothing is unsafe if you combine it with an inappropriate activity.

7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

They were probably glad to be free of it.

Joking... wiki does say the item has been in decline in the Kabul area. I'd guess that it isn't very popular for refugees fleeing, kind of hinders them.

8. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

As I learnt with the mankini and skiing.

9. Burndenpark

Isn't that (restricted peripheral vision) the case with crash helmets too?

10. Calpurnia99

Calpurnia99 Star commenter

Explains why so many motorcyclists come a cropper.

11. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Apparently women had headscarves ripped from them in the street, not everyone wanted to go bareheaded.

Burndenpark likes this.
  12. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Maybe, but if that was the case, once they were safe in the camp - with many non-Afghan (some male) NGOs also working there - you'd perhaps expect them to go back to wearing it, if that's what they used to do in Afghanistan.

They all wore a headscarf (including girls from about 10 upwards), but with the younger women it was often right on the back of their heads - certainly not covering all their hair by any means.

13. Mangleworzle

Probably. My original response was to state that wearing such a garment could be unsafe in some circumstances such as driving a car, which it can.

If a crash helmet in a normal road car (who does that?) or fancy dress in car are also unsafe, that is coincidental. I don't much like the idea that people are driving around in cars with unnecessarily restricted vision whatever the reason.

A motorcycle helmet might restrict vision to some degree, being sat on a bike with nothing around you gives automatically much better vision than sitting inside a car, and of course a crash helmet is a proven safety device whereas a burka or hijab aren't.

Burndenpark and Calpurnia99 like this.
  14. Burndenpark

I had a feeling there was something like that.

As shown in this video where they don't have their faces covered while driving.- good point.
    I have a feeling it's probably less of a risk than shouting at the radio or talking on the phone though.

15. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I've read all the posts. No two people have the same view point. It's always a hotly debated issue, there are so many sides to inclusion, integration equality, religion-all of that sort of stuff. Lots of good minds here.
    But there is one unifying feature across many posts which saddens me, and that is the use of the word "they".
    The best post for this thread would be a representative voice to balance it out. ("we")
    But not yet, and in the meantime "we" continue to legislate for and pontificate about a third party.
    Too deep?
    Where's the poster who wrote about the origins of women covering up recently? About the fact that it was because men couldn't be compelled to follow the Koran by not ogling women, so women then clothed accordingly, to help them adhere to the book. The Koran, in this point, does not legislate for women, it legislates for men. I've probably mangled that with facetiousness, but it was an excellent post, because she knew about these things first hand. She wasn't talking about "them", she was talking about "us". And it was more informative to me than an outsider's mere theory. Which is this thread thus far...

That voice hasn't happened in this thread yet. Anybody there please? I can't have opinion in this discussion without you...why should I talk with others about your life when you haven't yet told me about it yourself?

16. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I always understood that the claim of the burkha/niqab being unsafe in public places was to do with officials not being able to see/read faces in banks etc and not knowing who the person was under the garment, rather than the headcoverings making certain things like driving dangerous.. It could be a male, after all..
    There are also fears that voluminous garments could conceal weaponry.

Someone in a niqab would not need their mouth, chin and nose to be visible to aid their own field of vision.

17. delmamerchant

delmamerchant Established commenter

Why would we want to complain about what goes on in Saudis Arabia? Masjid is awesome.

18. delmamerchant

Did we think that people would vote to leave the EU

19. delmamerchant

I am not sure how you equate all therefore mentioned to Sharia law,: Are you being flippant?

20. delmamerchant

What, wearing a hoodie?