1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ukip want to ban the burqa and sharia law!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by delmamerchant, Apr 23, 2017.

1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

To my knowledge the Burqa is culturally Afghan [that area] and maybe we have more Afghans coming to this country now?

I know there are a few Central Asian folks [the 'stans] in my town.

2. Burndenpark

Burndenpark Star commenter

I nearly used pictures for each example and this was lined up for the fancy dress option

[​IMG]

3. NoseyMatronType

NoseyMatronType Lead commenter

Lanokia.

Wow! Didn't know that. The first picture is similar to the one you posted.

Thanks for the information. It's all helping me to get a handle on this.

4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I do see the second a LOT more than the first... and neither is exactly a common sight on the high street.

I kinda feel sorry for the women under them*... like I feel sorry for guys in saggy jeans, how much weight must they have lost! ... but it's a free country...

*Edit: I have no evidence I should feel sorry for them btw...

5. SirPurrAlot

SirPurrAlot Established commenter

I'm surprised anyone is interested, but this thread clearly shows that some are. :(

6. keyboard2

keyboard2 Established commenter

No.

It's an attack on religious freedom.

I don't like these face coverings but we can't ban things based on arbitrary prejudice.

Burndenpark, InkyP and Nanook_rubs_it like this.
  7. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

What about banning them on grounds of public safety?

hoppytimes, Oscillatingass and wanet like this.
  8. Nanook_rubs_it

Nanook_rubs_it Star commenter

I put make up 'make up' as a 'reductio ad absurda': the line is arbitrarily drawn dependant on one's own prejudices.

[​IMG]

9. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

I spent 5 weeks working with Afghan refugees in Greece last autumn. Not one woman wore the burka; only one wore the niqab. There must have been over 300 women in the camp.

lanokia likes this.
  10. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Established commenter

One seaside resort in Italy banned ugly women from their beaches. Maybe that should apply here to men with pot bellies over 50 inches, wearing bermuda shorts with knobbly knees or dyeing hair pink, blue, green or purple. Maybe we need to be more democratic and have a referendum about what to ban ? or better still forget all such silly ideas.

11. bonkers 704

bonkers 704 Lead commenter

The other UKIP proposed policy is "to check female pupils regularly for FGM." Whereas I am utterly opposed to this abhorrent practice (indeed I'm against male circumcision for religious as opposed to medical reasons) how is this policy supposed to be enforced without the most outrageous invasion of personal space of 11 and 12 year old girls?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2017/apr/24/corbyn-may-farron-sturgeon

calamansi and Flere-Imsaho like this.
  12. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Ah. Progress. Progress.

Isn't it wonderful to see how far we've come and how well this women's liberation-thing is going, eh?

We've gone from Tehran 1979...

women_protesting_hijab_iran.jpg

...to this!

women-walking-in-tehran-iran-bt91p6.jpg

Mmm, hot day. Yummy ice-cream. Great day for a big coat and a black scarf. Exactly my choice of attire for such weather.

13. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

That's shocking. Are they intending to examine all girls or just the chosen few? (Rhetorical question)

14. keyboard2

keyboard2 Established commenter

It is rare for a piece of clothing to be considered unsafe.

You are assuming a woman who sports this item is unsafe. How? It is a ludicrous argument.

Cars are more unsafe although I suspect you won't be able to access this logic.

15. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

And if they find FGM has taken place? It won't change the situation for those affected.

16. palmtree100

palmtree100 Lead commenter

:eek:

17. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

It's a typical UKIP policy in that it's both racist and misogynistic and also designed to put people off living here. Don't want your daughter to have to show a doctor her fanny every time you come back from holiday? Don't live here.

Trump travel ban is similar. It won't stop people with current visas but it'll certainly make them think twice about whether they want to settle in the US.

Burndenpark and racroesus like this.
  18. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Why aren't people wearing - say - motorcycle helmets allowed in banks? Or some garages? Etc.

Oh, yes, because the person wearing them might be able to escape detection should a crime be committed. Same should apply to full veil face coverings.

And then there is...

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2007/feb/20/terrorism.world1

or

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jul/01/france-burqa-ban-upheld-human-rights-court

hoppytimes and wanet like this.
  19. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Good idea.
    No, disgracefully sexist and fattist.

20. cariadwch

cariadwch Established commenter

Yes Tehran and Iran was a wonderful place before 1979 under the Shah who was a great believer in women's rights, makes you wonder why on earth they got rid of him.

But Amnesty International described the country in 1975 as having the worst human rights record in the world.