1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

UKIP racism? Fear-mongering? Or pragmatism?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by monicabilongame, Sep 24, 2018.

1. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...sons-islam-farage-gerard-batten-a8549426.html

Ukip is proposing muslim-only prisons and special security screening for would-be migrants “from Islamic countries” in a new policy document. The document claimed segregation in prisons was needed because non-Muslim inmates were frequently forced to convert to Islam “for their own protection” from Muslims gangs behind bars.

the Ukip children’s spokesman received a standing ovation from party members after claiming Muslim sex gangs were responsible for a “holocaust of our children” that authorities had refused to tackle.

During a speech at the party conference, he suggested the practice of preying on “white English girls” could be traced right back “to Mohammed himself” and described the issue as “the biggest social crime and scandal in our country for 200 years”.

Ukip’s manifesto claimed decades of sexual abuse of children had been covered up due to “political correctness and the fear of identifying the vast majority of the perpetrators as Muslims”.

2. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Since UKIP doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of coming to power (they don't have a single MP), who cares?

3. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Time to outlaw UKIP.

emilystrange and slingshotsally like this.
  4. Nanook_rubs_it

Nanook_rubs_it Star commenter

The same was true 3/4 years ago, but they managed to control Tory policy on an EU referendum, so I wouldn't write-off their influence on the Tory right on any dog whistle subject.

slingshotsally and coffeekid like this.
  5. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Not really. Norman Lamont had signalled the likelihood back in ?1994, and Tony Blair had twice said there should be an EU referendum in 2004/5. It was always going to happen (especially given the unpopularity of the EU revealed in the referendum), UKIP or not.

nomad likes this.
  6. Nanook_rubs_it

Nanook_rubs_it Star commenter

And yet it didn't happen until Tory MP's started defecting...

7. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Not sure where Mohammed would have found a white English girl some 1400 years ago in Arabia.

This is a concern, if it can be verified.

Not unless there are grounds (in UK law) to do so. If individuals are inciting religious hatred, then arrest and charge them.

8. FrankWolley

I'd suggest the points reported on in post #1 get pretty close.

Maybe outlaw religion from prisons - no Chaplins, Imams etc. No bibles, Korans etc. No meeting for religious 'teaching', worship etc.

slingshotsally likes this.
  9. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

So you want to ban a party for being concerned about the rape of children?

Are you actually serious?

10. FrankWolley

Interesting that you pick that particular part of the content of post #1.

But then you infer that if I don't agree with UKIP (& presumably its supporters) I must somehow not be 'serious'... o_O

Goebbels would be proud of that slur.

As one poster likes to say, 'Oh dear...';)

11. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Now that would be a violation of human rights (however much, as an atheist, I consider religious belief to be a waste of brain space...)

But the inmates find him so funny!

[​IMG]

They can have chaplains, though.

EmanuelShadrack likes this.
  12. FrankWolley

Haha! Fair enough...

Disagree about banning religion... Isn't one of the major points about imprisonment to remove or curb 'human rights'? ;)

nomad likes this.
  13. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

It's curious to me why UKIP are continuing to exist. I mean, they "won" didn't they? (until the next referendum - my guess: 2035). Their very raison d'être has become a reality.
    Well they were serious contenders before the referendum; at least a certain Mr Cameron thought so anyway. He cared a great deal, to the extent that he thought a spot of gambling was in order.

Once reality kicks in, in the not too distant future, I would agree that they won't have a snowball's chance in hell. But they won't care - they "won".

14. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Various Communist regimes tried this - thankfully (IMO) it doesn't work. You can't ban people's personal faith and attempting to ban outward manifestations (e.g. worship, study, teaching) just drives it underground, strengthens people's faith and often attracts new people.

And whatever you may think about faith & religion, chaplains are vital in a prison system which is collapsing due to understaffing & underfunding, providing support in more areas than just the spiritual.

Alice K likes this.
  15. FrankWolley

Then find a way to stop recruitment by terrorists in prison which has/is certainly happened. My suggestion might drive religion underground, but that would stop it spreading...

(NB Just because it has happened, it doesn't mean that UKIP is right - even a stopped clock shows the correct time twice a day, and their 'solution' smacks of internment/concentration camps...)

16. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Tony managed to pass the buck deftly.

17. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

But it doesn't stop it spreading. If there are problems in any part of life, driving them underground doesn't stop them, just makes them harder to deal with.

18. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Maybe those who follow medieval religions should be subjected to the laws their religions preach? How do criminals get treated in countries that practice Sharia law for example?

19. FrankWolley

So stoning for Christians then?;) After all Christianity is an older religion than Islam...

20. FrankWolley

But in a prison cutting off access to religious texts, priests/Imams etc and making it as difficult as possible to follow any religion will help stop them spreading...