1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

UK vs Australian qualifications for teaching abroad?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by TeachingOk, Feb 23, 2020.

1. TeachingOk

TeachingOk New commenter

I know UK qualifications are quite common amongst international schools in Asia, but is it possible to find employment with an Australian qualification? I mean, there are more English international schools (British) abroad so technically a UK qualification would be better for employment in this regard?

What do you think?

2. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

There are far more IB schools than British schools. I work in a British school with lots of Australian trained teachers. It shouldn't be a problem but IB schools should definitely be your first choice

3. percy topliss

percy topliss Occasional commenter

I have worked at, ostensibly, British schools with many Aussie trained and certified people. I also know of Aussie curriculum schools that employ British, American and South African teachers. It is about the person not the certificate, I would say.

Perce

install likes this.
  4. taiyah

taiyah Occasional commenter

The teachers college closed in the 1980s and the universities took over the qualifications.

Unless they are in their 50 - 55 and over, you'll find Australian teachers have thier BEd matching the subject they teach.

Furthermore, Australia doesn't produce "qualifications" such as the iPGCE and the 3 year QTS option. One can draw the conclusion on what this means.

At the end of the day it's upto the schools. An international school can have between 10-62 different nationalities and qualifications on their payroll.