1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

UK underestimated threat from Europe - borders

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Corvuscorax20, Aug 5, 2020.

1. ajrowing

ajrowing Star commenter

I think you have misunderstood me, everyone arriving i the UK should be quarantined in that way. Then diseases would never arrive in the UK.

2. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Well it would have done. Can I assume that you're tongue-in-cheek here, ajrowing?

ajrowing likes this.
  3. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Actually, the Director-General of the World Health Organization said in late January that there was no need to declare a public health emergency of international concern, adding "This is an emergency in China, but it has not yet become a global health emergency".

You only need to look at Italy, Spain and France to see that it was not just the UK that was not prepared for Coronavirus.

You keep making vague suggestions that something should have been done without ever saying what. And I again ask how would you get "many tests up and running" when there are no testing materials available?

If I supported this lousy government, I would have voted for it. I didn't. As I said at the time (and many other times since) my preference is to vote Green, but because of the failed stitch-up with the Lib Dems I was unable to do so here, and consequently voted Lib Dem rather than abstain.

You really do need to understand that if someone doesn't think your suggestions would have worked, it doesn't follow that they must be Conservative supporters! All it means is that they think your suggestions were unworkable, which is why they were never implemented.

4. florian gassmann

I think you will find that 23.7 million people will not fit in Arrowe Park Hospital.

5. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Quarantining 18 million people wasn't practical in Q1.

6. ajrowing

ajrowing Star commenter

Your right, there wouldn't be space in the whole of the Gold Coast let alone just one resort.
    Although quite what that has to do with the price of fish I don't know.

7. LondonCanary

Everyone arriving in the UK, who you wanted to quarantine, was 18 million in total in the relevant quarter.

8. ajrowing

ajrowing Star commenter

Madness, I thought we had taken back control of our borders, and we were busy letting in 18million foreigners to bring their diseases in.

9. LondonCanary

Why would we not permit visitors? Your suggestion that it is brought in by foreign people is right up there with Trump's Chyna.

10. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Late January. It moved very quickly didn't it, these things do, we looked the other way and hoped for the best.
    We have done worse than all of those places who were hit less hard than we were BEFORE we were, so we had time to prepare, but didn't, hence the title of this thread.

We could also look at Germany who were prepared and had testing kits, how did that happen I wonder? They were preparing when we were hoping it would go away, they have done so much better than we have too, the whole of Europe have done better apart from Belgium and some very small micro-states.

I'm not an expert and neither are you, it is often your MO to ask for details and then dismiss all suggestions off hand while you are in no position know better yourself so I'm not playing your game this time.

You don't need to be an expert to know that doing something is nearly always better than doing nothing. You don't need to be an expert to see that some countries responded well and others didn't, we didn't even though we had the benefit of an early warning that most didn't get. It seems Germany took the threat seriously which I am sure is in part because they were led by a proper scientist with a work ethic instead of the PM who wasn't there that we had, distracted by his own personal matters.

I don't care how you say you voted, I am going on your record of unerringly supporting this government across numerous threads and never letting go of a position once you have taken it, frequently seeing it as a competition rather than discussion.

ajrowing likes this.
  11. florian gassmann

Well, that didn't last long. :p

Because they were the only country in Europe making then and, defying EU rules, they banned their export to any other country.

Which we did. The NHS was not overwhelmed, unlike the health service in Italy, and we never ran out of intensive care beds or even ventilators. But it was not possible to get more testing kits when the entire world was competing for them, so it is pointless to say that we could have done more testing, just as it is pointless to say that we should have quarantined 23.7 million people when the infection was already rife in the community.

Correcting the frequent factual errors of the opponents of this government does not mean I support this government!

Why do you keep saying that, or things like there is "no point in continuing the discussion" when you are clearly continuing the discussion?

12. ajrowing

ajrowing Star commenter

Its a good job we are leaving the EU then, as then it won't be necessary for Germany to defy EU rules when deciding whether or not it wants to sell us something.

13. florian gassmann

Wouldn't make any difference. The German ban was to all countries whether in the EU or not. Also, President Macron announced that France will requisition all face masks produced there, a de facto export ban. Such measures were unfortunate, because they played straight into the hands of Brexiteers who have pointed out that as soon as the chips are down it is every country for itself as far as the EU is concerned, with national interests trumping any idea of being in a "union" for mutual support.