1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Uk Trained, teaching in Ireland?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by maypv, Nov 25, 2017.

1. maypv

maypv New commenter

This may be a bit of a long short but maybe someone here will be able to help!

I trained in the UK in 2014 despite getting accepted to the PME. It was a financial decision. I contacted the teaching council way back then about how the new 2 year PME would effect equivalency with the UK qualification but was essentially told that they hadn't figured it out yet and I'd have to just apply/pay the fee anyway. My course in the UK had the option study for another year to convert it to a masters so I thought I'd just have to do that if needs be.

I've decided recently that I want to come home but now see that even if I were to go ahead and do the masters I'd still be short ECTS. I sort of can't wrap my head around this? My diploma, 3 years experience and even (potentially) masters would be worth absolutely nothing? There must be some option to bring me "up to par"? I feel like I must be missing something or be misinformed. Are there any other (post-2014) UK trained teachers who have moved back to Ireland?

2. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

I'm a bit confused, granted it doesn't take much these days.You trained in the UK which country?You received a Diploma but isn't all teacher training degree courses. Back when dinosaurs roamed I qualified to teach with a Diploma.
    What is PME and ECTS? Sorry I'm not much help.

3. tb9605

tb9605 Established commenter

Have you tried posting in the Overseas Trained Teachers forum? Just an idea...

Good luck.

4. MeghanDoheney

MeghanDoheney New commenter

Hi!!

I’m in the same predicament right now. Is there any news on this? Did you apply to the teaching council?

Thank you