1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

UK trained, Nepalese teacher jailed in Qatar.

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by bbibbler, May 9, 2013.

1. bbibbler

bbibbler New commenter

For anybody thinking of going to the ME.
    "
    A Nepalese teacher fired from a prestigious secondary school in Qatar for remarks he made to students last month appeared in a lower Doha court today on charges of insulting Islam.

Dorje Gurung, who taught chemistry at Qatar Academy, was seen by Doha News this morning leaving the court in handcuffs. If convicted, Article 256 of the Penal Code stipulates that he could face up to seven years in jail.

Colleagues, friends and students interviewed by Doha News said
    Gurung, whose two-year teaching contract was set to expire in July, had
    been facing problems at QA with students who did not respect his
    authority, in part due to his nationality.

Two of Gurung’s friends at the courthouse shared with Doha News notes of the teacher’s account of what happened. Here is a summary:

Fateful week

On Monday, April 22, Gurung said he had a sit-down chat with three
    12-year-old boys who were making fun of him. Among other things, the
    seventh graders poked fun at his appearance, calling him “Jackie Chan,” a
    famous Chinese actor.

On Tuesday, April 23, the mocking again began in earnest while Gurung
    was in line for lunch. At first, he said the teasing was light-hearted,
    but then one student put his hand on Gurung’s shoulder and a finger in
    his nose. At this point, Gurung grew agitated and said remarks to the
    effect of, how would you like to be stereotyped i.e. called a terrorist?

On Wednesday, April 24, he had a meeting with school management. On
    Thursday, April 25, he submitted his account of what happened and was
    told to go home. On Sunday, April 28, he was fired.

Later that week, Gurung was jailed for his remarks. According to his
    friends, Gurung will remain there at least until his next court hearing,
    which will be held in two weeks. He still does not have a lawyer, but
    the Nepalese embassy previously told Doha News that it will investigate the case.

International attention

Qatar Academy has acknowledged that it let go a teacher after formal
    complaints were made, but said it would be “inappropriate to comment
    further,” now that the matter has been picked up authorities.

Meanwhile, the teacher’s case is starting to draw international
    attention and has sparked a conversation in Doha about racism,
    accountability, “wasta” and tolerance.

Selywn Price, a longtime friend of Gurung’s who does not live in
    Qatar, said he and other colleagues are following the story closely:

Read more: http://dohanews.co/post/50006034723/teacher-appears-in-doha-court-faces-felony-charge-of#ixzz2SnltZNzY

Qatar is one of the more liberal countries in the ME, your students can still get you jailed even here.

2. happygreenfrog

happygreenfrog Occasional commenter

I lived in Saudi for 4 years working with children of the Saudi elite. I heard more racist remarks about black, SE asian, jewish and fellow middle eastern muslims than i've heard any where else. A lot of it is ignorance, but also a degree of arrogance due to wealth and their self anointed status as the muslim elite.

3. What's your point? Offering food for thought, or are you warning people away from the area in general?
    Have you worked in the ME?
    Terrible, that Stuart Hall, eh?

4. If MisterMaker bothered to read the article, s/he'd know that this is a very experienced teacher who has been in the international education environment since before he went to university.
    MisterMaker's reply displays exactly the kind of arrogance that would get "some western white teachers" in trouble, but this particular teacher is a very different person.
    He did not insult Islam, he did not break the law, and he should not "expect to be punished".
    I would be gobsmacked if MisterMaker is still a teacher, because s/he clearly doesn't know how to display empathy. Fortunately there are more than 1,000 friends, colleagues and fellow students who are prepared to account for this teacher's character - I wonder how many MisterMaker could muster?

5. He's SMT - the empathy disappeared years ago...

6. Mentioning five year olds on the other thread reminds me of how one of their endearing features is their egocentricity. It is endearing when the little blighters are five and it becomes less so as they grow into adulthood.

If your head wasn't so firmly planted up your own **** MisterMaker, you would see the irony in you berating another poster for berating you for making a typo when, if I remember correctly, you were one of 'the gang' who stuck it to the unfortunate chappie on the Hong Kong thread.

You seem to be monopolising most threads with your claptrap and your seemingly obsessive stalking of another poster on here. This is precisely what you have done here with your ******** on a thread that is much more important than you and I for one wish you would shut the f*** up for five minutes and I will be making my views well and truly known to TES.

7. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Could we please go easy on the insults, whitbymick?

8. And the irony of that remark is so rich it doesn't half give me heartburn! You are another who also makes incredibly insensitive and insulting remarks towards others. I have been watching for a long time and endeavoured to keep my counsel but sometimes it has to be said.

Dressing foul and suggestive remarks up in flowery language doesn't make them smell any less like a turd.

9. I hope the OP will forgive my tangent as well and maybe this thread can get back to its important task of highlighting the very serious issue for which it was originally intended!

10. miketribe

miketribe Established commenter

As the lovely MM says, no one yet knows the full facts of this situation. However, not knowing the full facts, s/he is still able to attribute blame on this poor teacher and to exonerate the management of all responsibility. If the teacher HAD been having discipline/control problems, wouldn't it have been the duty of the SMT to take disciplinary action against the revolting little 12-year-olds who were responsible? If they knew what was going on, they should have done something about it. If they DIDN'T know what was going on, they should have...

11. Thing is Mike, that sort of institutionalised bullying is going on in hundreds (every?) of schools and I wonder how many Heads are doing something about it. International schools can just wait for ends of contracts and then let the 'weak' teachers go. In the UK, that doesn't happen and Heads would have to offer support. Otherwise, they would end up with loose cannons, kids' damaged education and I presume, court cases.

I know I am going to get rocketed for this, but maybe it was naive of the school to employ that chap in the first place. People in this region are what they are, and aren't really open to multi-culturalism...let's face it, it rarely succeeds, in the UK it hasn't, so in Gulf countries? It is horrible and it is wrong, but it's the way it is.

12. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

Er,I'm not. I'm raising SLT role as an issue and suggesting they may have been guilty of not taking more affirmative steps, whilst not exonerating the key player, the teacher himself. On the other hand, if they'd have pushed him out earlier, there'd be folk on here complaining about unfair dismissal and again wrongly blaming the ethnic origins.

I refer to taking responsibility.

The 12 year olds he had problems with are, er 12! They were acting like spoilt children, which in fact they are - children. I've seen many Indian / Sri Lankan etc teachers control that age group in the ME. It isn't just about race. Yes, the kids might start with race because unfortunately that is the culture they live in. Nevertheless, better teachers from the sub continent have handled the situation better without insulting Islam - as is the claim - or at least not comparing the kids to terrorists - which was stupid..

Positive behaviour management theory and research tells us a lot about how to handle these situations and what not to do. Unfortunately the teacher in question seems to have retaliated to poor behaviour in his class, which is the wrong thing.

SLT to have some blame? - probably

Teacher to take main blame? - almost certainly.

Likely scenario - he'll stay in jail for a few more weeks, have a quick trial and get deported to Nepal.

13. MisterMaker

If your head wasn't in the sand and you were able to read and understand text better you will note a few things:

On the other thread to which you refer to the poster wasn't berated for a typo: it was a mistake an English teacher should have been more aware of. The advice given to him, not a berating, was to calm him down in his over reactions to soft comments made by another regular. Far from going around as a gang, Hippo and I often disagree with each other on many issues, will occasionally through sand in each others face as happens on this type of virtual space, but happily converse in another thread on a different topic that we do agree on within a few seconds.

My typing pater instead of peter was a typo, and I profusely apologise to everyone I offended for accidently typing an a instead of an e. However, you once again miss the point. I was questioning why the poster mentioned Peter Taylor. Remarkably the same poster responded sharply that I was somewhat dim for not knowing whom Peter Harvey was. Most contributors with a modicum of intelligence would see there was something wrong there. It is like asking, "we all know what happened to Guy Sebastian". Then responding to someone who asks who Guy Sebastian is with: "You've never heard of Guy Fawkes! The guy who attempted to blow up Parliament, what a fool". Of course in this instance the fool is / are you and the poster, who are maybe one and the same.

I'm sure Bev et al will be most interested, Mick from Whitby. [​IMG]

14. Yes, he was.

But you, as a long time poster[, have diplomatic immunity from typos.

The comments were offensive. He was offended. Others were offended. The comment has since been removed. You are the worst type of bully (the type who refuses to acknowledge that his own behaviour is inappropriate).

So, you are allowed to be offensive in whatever ways feel right for you at the time, but the Nepalese teacher in Qatar should have watched his mouth???????????????

15. bbibbler

bbibbler New commenter

I do not normally stoop so low.

16. MisterMaker

When I was a training to be a teacher many many years ago, I was working with a special needs group. I said to the group, "There are 100cm in a metre, how many centimetres are in a metre?" The group struggles to comprehend. as a trainee I tried various ways for them to get to repeat this simple idea.

If you cannot grasp what is being said, something which is not much more difficult to comprehend than how many centimetres are in a metre, I cannot help you. If you are easily offended then I cannot help you on that either. Perhaps other forums, or groups, may be better suited to you.

17. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

You should really be ashamed of yourself. Although I prefer not to respond to your puerile remarks that are directed at me, I must stand up for the beautiful kids I teach every day.

Your remarks are loaded with bias and a complete lack of understanding of how children learn, particularly those with an intellectual disability. Pretty much confirmed my opinion of you, not that it really needed confirmation.

18. You've accused me so far of being special needs and being a PE teacher. Perhaps it is you who has the comprehension problem. The point that I have been making is that you are not the gatekeeper of the 'Teaching Overseas' forum. This is not a fraternity (even though it definitely feels like one at times) and posters should not have to go through hazing before they are allowed to ask a question.

You have decided that this is an opinion forum; I believe that most new posters who find their way to this site are simply looking for information. I am getting tired of people being eviscerated by the gatekeepers (and for things as trivial as a missed apostrophe or daring to work in the independent sector in their home country) and never asking a question again. More than aything, I am tired of that bullshite line 'If you can't handle the forum then you have no place in an international school'. I imagine that is true of your school - and I am eternally grateful that I don't work there - but in the international schools that I have worked in workplace bullying is not part and package of the contract.

19. MisterMaker

Some folk complain there is too much sex and violence on TV. They'll get to the end of a movie or programme and rant how awful it was. They forget there are other channels, or even the off switch.

There is a choice yours to make: watch or don't watch, read or don't read, ignore or don't ignore.

20. Deflecting again - always deflecting from your own behaviour. I couldn't care less if you and your mates want to engage in fratboy banter on this forum, just don't take it out on genuine posters who come here for information and advice. Feel free to start a thread that is a combined virtual titty bar/locker room and whinge about how oversensitive everyone is.