1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

UK to USA

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by ldempster93, Jul 20, 2015.

1. Hi,

I have recently completed my PGCE in the UK and was wondering if anyone has any experience or knowledge of becoming qualified in the US, as I am currently debating making the move across the pond next year!

I have been in touch with the State Board and they've given me some information but have not been very clear about what I need to do to qualify to work over there (North Carolina).

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

2. oscillator

oscillator Occasional commenter

Each state will have different requirements... so it's hard to say. You might get lucky and have someone more familiar with NC requirements.

3. sjk17

sjk17 New commenter

There's a British School in Charlotte you could try them as then you won't need to be recognised by NC but just be British trained and you'll be better paid than a teacher in a maintained school.

4. suefla

suefla New commenter

Far more important then finding what qualifications you need, is finding out how you're going to get a Visa. Search this forum, it comes up every month that someone just decides they going to work in the States. It's not easy by any stretch, the U.S. are very protective of their borders and won't give jobs to immigrants that Americans can do. No publicly funded school district is going to pay the thousands of dollars needed to sponsor an immigrant.