1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Uk to Ireland

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by AHAShake, Feb 16, 2020.

1. AHAShake

AHAShake New commenter

Hi all,

In need of some current info for making the move from teaching in the UK to Ireland.

I qualified in Scotland in 2006 and taught there for a number of years. In 2013, I moved to London and it was quite easy for my qualifications to be recognised and achieve QTS status in England. I have held 2 permanent jobs here. We are now contemplating a move to Ireland due to my husbands work.
    I have done quite a lot of research but I’d like to know first hand how easy it is to be registered to teach in Ireland and what the likelihood of getting a permanent job is like? We will be trying to get mortgage etc. All in I have been teaching 14 years and am very experienced but from what I’ve read I’m not sure that matters.

If anyone can provide more information I’d really appreciate it.

C x

2. w1185299

w1185299 New commenter

I know lots of Irish teachers that have qualified in England and returned to teach in southern Ireland with no issues.

However, for most jobs you need to have GCSE/junior cert in Irish. That may be your biggest barrier.

It is very parochial over here and there are too many teachers. I know people who qualified 10+ years ago and still do not have a job.

N.Ireland would be much easier, it is the same system as England.

3. AHAShake

AHAShake New commenter

Hi there,

Do you mind me asking if being a substitute can still enable lenders to give you a mortgage in Ireland?
    I’m afraid can’t do NI as my husbands job offer is in Dublin.
    Any advice is greatly received
    C x

4. kpjf

kpjf Occasional commenter

I'm sorry to disagree but to get a permanent teaching job in Northern Ireland is EXTREMELY difficult even for locals so I can't imagine what it would be like for English trained teachers. It is a very small community whereby teachers, once in the job, stay for years and years with little movement. I remember on my PGCE asking random teachers "how long have you worked here for?" to hear answers such as 15, 17, 20, 25, 30 years. Would this be common in England? And on my PGCE course in NI we had 2 principals from England come over and promote their school, talking about cash incentives for coming etc because they know that many people from Northern Ireland who complete a PGCE can at best become supply teachers whereas in England there is a shortage. So many people on PGCEs in Northern Ireland have no choice but to move to England or I heard of some going to the Republic of Ireland.

Yes, it's the same system, but the curriculum is different and the induction year is 2, not 1.

enyliram likes this.
  5. MsNiChearuil

MsNiChearuil New commenter

You will need to be able to teach Irish to be eligible to be a classroom teacher. You will also need a certificate in religion to work in a Catholic school, which the overwhelming majority are. Without these you haven't much of a chance of getting any work, even subbing. With Brexit I'm not sure whether PGCE will be given automatic recognition anymore or how that would work, so you may need to apply to a body for recognition of qualifications.

In order to gain permanency, you will need first to work in a school continuously on fixed term contracts (maternity and/or one year fixed term position) for 2+ years. At that point you are offered a contract of indefinite duration (CID). Permanency comes later but CID is effectively permanency for the purposes of mortgage etc. Banks don't view subbing as mortgage-worthy as far as I've heard.
    As pointed out by others, it is a completely different ball-game to get work here. Very parochial and a lot to do with who you know, despite measures being put in place to hinder that. Dublin is probably your best bet for subbing work. My own experience when I moved home from UK was a year of back-to-back maternity contracts, then a year on a fixed term contract, then back to maternities again (couldn't have stayed where I was offered CID). Once I do get my permanent contract that'll be that, I won't be moving again. When on maternity contracts you aren't paid over breaks/summer, though you're paid at a slightly higher rate through the year to give something towards this shortfall. You either go on the Dole or pick up summer camp work, though I don't know about your eligibililty now with Brexit.

Think long and hard about it as you will probably face a few years of uncertainty, and also start looking up established places to learn Irish. The Teaching Council website should have advice.

6. w1185299

w1185299 New commenter

Not easier to get a job but easier for qualifications to be transferred. Dublin has a lot of supply work especially in the tougher schools. However, cost of living in Dublin is high, house prices and rents are eye watering. Great city though. I teach in the North and agree jobs are scarce.

7. grahasmcobie

grahasmcobie New commenter

I have returned this year to Ireland. I had been putting it off for years but after teaching in London for almost 15 years I decided to make the move. I went to secondary school here so know the system well. But I trained in England completing a PGCE. If you do make the move you need to register with the Irish Teaching Council it can be a drawn out process of getting your school to fill in parts of a form. They then decide if your qualifications are recognisable. I did my degree in Ireland at an NUI university, most degrees will be recognised from the UK. My issue was getting the documents, they need transcripts of your degree subjects. I ended up badgering my tutor from my PGCE in London and eventually got everything in. Police or Garda vetting is needed, easy to do.
    It takes quite a while for them to process but I eventually become registered in November.
    Getting a supply work is straightforward, I registered with the EDUCation Training Board in county as one as a casual worker. There is quite a big demand for subs as they are known here, so work will come about if you are near a city like Dublin or Cork. The rate are paid per lesson or hour, around €40-45 and you pay towards a pension.
    Getting a permanent job is the tricky one, posts are advertised for Deputy Principals, if you have managerial experience this is they gateway to a permanent job straight away. You will likely face competition from local experienced teachers however schools like teacher that have managerial experience. The route to permanency is through like stated above a contract of Indefinite duration, if you do more than 2 years of a fixed term contract, you will be given one of these.
    Things are much better here than they were 10 years ago outside of Dublin people generally live to work and the quality of life is better.

8. grahasmcobie

YOU DO NOT NEED IRISH TO TEACH IN SECONDARY SCHOOLS ONLY IN THE PRIMARY SECTOR.

9. jrz0711

jrz0711 New commenter

Don't you need to sit the exam on "History of the Irish Educational System" if you did the PGCE?

10. w1185299

w1185299 New commenter

You could live in north Dublin and easily commute to Newry, it is n the uk and has lots of schools, then no issues with qualifications to deal with.

11. enyliram

enyliram New commenter

Regarding NI, in some subjects, positions do come about quite rarely. I know at least five qualified MFL teachers who have gone on to do something else, because there are just no jobs. As mentioned previously, people do stay in their jobs forever, because teaching in NI is quite a comfortable position re. salary for example, as compared to other jobs in the region.

Newry may have a lot of schools, but not that many positions I suspect.

kpjf likes this.
  12. grahasmcobie

Yes you do. Your registration is classed as conditional for 3 years. The test isn't difficult, two questions on topics on the history of the state education system. Funnily enough I will be doing the test in the exam hall where I did my history degree 15 years ago!