1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

UK to Australia Exchange

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by HappyPixie, Jun 5, 2011.

1. At 28? WHV. Ask your current school to hold your job open for you, which they may do (mine has for two teachers now) you don't ask, you don't get.

2. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

https://www.det.nsw.edu.au/what-we-offer/awards-scholarships-and-grants/exchange-programs/teacher-exchange-programs
    Contact them and see if they can point you in the right direction at your end. Good luck!

3. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

@Pixie, there are huge advantages to exchanging rather than going the WHV route. You still get your salary for a start and housing and transport is taken care of.

4. I really want to do this but not brave enough to do it completely on my own! Some sort of support from some organisation would be good!

@yasimum do you know anyone who has done an exchange?

PS Thanks for replying to this post....really didn't think anyone would!

5. Agree, but it can be hard to get from my experience and I just wanted to give OP a reply, better than nothing :)

6. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

Too true pixie, very disheartening when noone replies to a post.
    Emma, no, not personally but I know it is a very popular programme here in Australia and works very well from what I have heard. I would give it a whirl if I were you! Just remember that states in Australia all administer their programmes autonomously so if it is not NSW you fancy then you would need to look at other states' websites.

7. Spice0012

Spice0012 New commenter

HI Emma, I wanted to complete an exchange last year as I'm the same age and have the same concerns. Sadly due to OFSTED fears my head wasn;t interested as she feared having an Aussie teacher would hinder her ofsted hopes.
    I initially tried this site as one teacher I worked with her daughter many years ago went with them. http://www.lect.org.uk/home.aspx

Good luck with your journey, definately do it as you only get one chance in life. Iam looking into leaving my permin post and just going for it - can always come home!![​IMG]

8. I haven't even asked my head if he would let me go but this seems harder to sort out than I expected!

LECT is ending its exchange program but apparently it is supposed to be handing over to another agency, the Commonwealth Youth Exchange Council (CYEC).

I emailed the Australian version of LECT as suggested above and they replied but had no matches.

You're right, you do only get one chance but you have to be brave just to quit and go for it...and I'm not sure I'm as brave as you!!

9. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

You could try to arrange a private exchange if both schools and bosses are willing to do it. Just trying to think how you might put it out there though. If I think of anything I will let you know.

10. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

PS: There will be lots of opportunities for you in the future. I don't think you only get one chance at things and if you feel apprehensive, maybe it just isn't the right time for you. That doesn't mean that you won't ever get the chance again. Google all theAussie state education departments and email them as they might just have a match!

11. Thank you!