1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

UK teaching for an Australian

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by dclaxton34, Dec 30, 2017.

  1. dclaxton34

    dclaxton34 New commenter

    I'm a casual primary teacher in Sydney and I've been thinking about getting more experience in the UK. My long-term goal is to get a temporary or permanent job in Sydney (so far no luck). I'm 40 years old and I don't have the right of abode (my parents were born in Australia, my Dad's parents were from Austraila while my Mum's were born in India but are ethnically British however I don't think the UK immigration office consider them to be British). I was just wondering if anyone can tell me if I can legally do a short-term contract in the UK with a school? For those who have taught in the UK, are there many differences in the classroom in regards to students, behaviour management, etc.?
  2. ejclibrarian

    ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

    You might be better asking in the Overseas trained teachers forum. This forum is aimed at UK teachers working abroad.
  3. blueskydreaming

    blueskydreaming Lead commenter

    In order to get a work visa you'd need to have an individual school sponsor it, which is unlikely to happen as primary teachers are not rare in the UK, you don't have any experience of the UK curriculum, and it might be costly/time consuming for a school to process a visa. I have colleagues from NZ and Australia (I work in an international school) - from what I gather, teachers from NZ/Oz do not seem to be held as accountable for students' results as we are in the UK (I could be wrong!), and SLT seem to micromanage teachers more in the UK (just my impression).

    There have been some Australian jobs advertised on TES recently, in my subject anyway (English) - have you looked there for vacancies?
  4. Wotton

    Wotton Lead commenter

  5. dclaxton34

    dclaxton34 New commenter

    Thank you guys for the links and suggestions. I'll take a look at the vacancies on TES.
  6. masty88

    masty88 New commenter

    Don't do it. Seriously, don't. There is no such thing as a 'casual primary teacher' in the UK :(
  7. Wotton

    Wotton Lead commenter

    I know someone who came over from New Zealand and did supply teaching for a year, some on longer contracts rather than daily, through an agency. So it can be done.
  8. blueskydreaming

    blueskydreaming Lead commenter

    What visa were they on though?
  9. schmedz

    schmedz Occasional commenter

    Your visa will determine whether you will be allowed to work and I'm not sure what working visa you'd be eligible for. Best to check on the Home Office website (first link from Wotton, above)
    There is plenty of supply ('casual') work available for qualified teachers (even without QTS status, although if you're thinking about a longer stay, it is worth applying for recognition of your Australian teacher training). Hays was the agency I used when I first came to the UK, and you may have better luck using an agency for supply work rather than direct application.
    But get your working permission sorted first!
  10. Wotton

    Wotton Lead commenter

    I'm not sure but it wasn't the young person one.
  11. aussie_teacher_nt

    aussie_teacher_nt New commenter

Share This Page