1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

UK teachers can double their money by going abroad

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Nov 15, 2018.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

A better work-life balance, exotic locations (possibly), and the opportunity to earn more money - it’s not hard to see why some teachers decide to work abroad. But despite the ongoing recruitment and retention crisis the government seems slow to accept or tackle the issue and provide real incentives to help teachers stay in UK classrooms:

‘…One significant consequence of this is that UK-trained teachers are increasingly in demand and short supply around the world.

The British government seems slow on the uptake that the teacher recruitment crisis is a global, rather than a local, challenge and are yet to recognise that it is not well placed to compete with the packages on offer around the world…

Some estimates put a figure of 15,000 on the number of teachers leaving each year to teach outside the UK.

As yet, not much has been done to persuade teachers to stay. And the problem is only going to get worse.‘
    Mark S Steed is the Director of JESS, Dubai

What are your views? Is working abroad your next career move? If so, why? Are you working abroad or have you worked abroad? What are the pros and cons of working abroad? What would make you teach again in the UK?

https://www.tes.com/news/double-your-money-abroad-why-recruitment-crisis-global-issue

2. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

I’ve thought about it. I know 2 people who, near retirement decided to end their careers with a 2 year contract abroad. The day I’ve had today is making me consider it again. I’ve mentioned somewhere else about ITT students who’ve trained, taken the 20 odd thousand bursary and gone abroad on qualifying! Great use of public money.

3. moscowbore

moscowbore Established commenter

it is true. better money, less stress if you pick the right school, no ofsted. what is not to like? i advise all disillusioned teachers to go teach abroad. few will come back. i got a job with better money etc.. in europe on my first application. i will simply be a teacher on a better salary than my current deputy head.

install, dumbbells66 and yasf like this.
  4. yasf

yasf Occasional commenter

I'm surprised you haven't tagged the likes of @dumbbells66 or @the hippo on to this post. It's one of their favourite topics of conversation ;).

5. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

Forget "double"..... you can at least 5 times ;)

yasf likes this.
  6. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Hello! Did someone mention a smelly swamp-dwelling beast?

Yes, I would agree with Mr Steed that it is getting worse. That is my impression. Quite a lot of young (and some not-so-young) teachers have written to me, asking me about how to get a job in an international school. Sometimes they have told me some dreadful stories about lazy and rude students, useless SLTs and abusive parents. Therefore it is not surprising that many teachers are "voting with their feet" and leaving the UK. Do many of them return to teaching in the UK? No, I do not think so.

What about the money? Oh please do not get me started on the subject of the crazy house prices in the UK, not to mention the insanity of Council Tax! Here in Bulgaria, it cost me 2BGN (that is one euro or 90p) an hour to park in the carpark next to the Covered Market in the centre of Sofia. And how much will you pay for a carpark in the centre of London?

yasf likes this.
  7. teachingmatters1

teachingmatters1 New commenter

I’m leaving this year and can tell you there isn’t a chance in hell I will teach here again!

Shedman and dumbbells66 like this.
  8. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

In answer to your question, it costs a £1 an hour to park in Walthamstow East London. although you have to pay in £2 segments even if you only stay one hour
    However, in Brighton, it recently cost me £35 for 5 hours in a private multi-story car park.
    Even to park by beaches in Wales can cost £2 an hour..In Canturbury its £5 an hour!
    I am to old to teach abroad and I am fairly sure my wife would not take lightly to me going off to teach there at 72 lol

9. aislingmcdnl86

aislingmcdnl86 New commenter

I can totally see where you are all coming from, the grass does indeed appear to be greener “teaching abroad”. But you will face different obstacles. I understand the stranglehold a lot of you feel Ofsted place on teaching, but what if there were no standards? No government guidelines to stick to? What if you were teaching somewhere with your qualifications and experience alongside teachers who were not qualified and who did not have the same expectations as you? There is a reason UK-trained teachers are so valued all over the world, and I think it comes down to the standards you are exposed to throughout your careers, and the hopes that these standards will be taken with you and through you embedded into the teaching culture of different countries.

10. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

If you are teaching in a decent to great int'l school then all of your what if's would generally be non-issues (or at least not significant enough to detract from your quality of life at work/home).

dumbbells66 likes this.
  11. aislingmcdnl86

Yes, that’s true of many countries certainly. I work in HK and even in the best international schools here the values are a far cry from those in the UK, and very often that leads to a high turnover of staff-especially after the holiday periods ha-as teachers struggle to understand why SEN policies are not the same, or why play-based learning often seems to be a catchphrase for lessons that are indeed quite structured. Yes, more money is often the reality, but sometimes at the expense of values.

border_walker likes this.
  12. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

You are obviously working at a low level school then ;). Yes i know there are some bad international schools out there, you only need to look how shockingly bad they are in Spain. Butbi have worked in some truly awesome schools, and know of a hell of a lot more that would far surpass UK schools.

13. aislingmcdnl86

Hahaha, I wasn’t actually talking about the school I work in, just that people should research these things before leaving behind what they have at home

14. yasf

Met an ex-colleague last summer who has just taken the plunge. It wasn't the sun, the money or the lack of Ofsted that excited her. It was the fact that she'd be able to leave school before 5 on most days. A far cry from the 12 to 14 hour days she was pulling at her last school.

15. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

Left in 2003 for two years. Not returned yet.

In all the places I have worked my life has been immeasurably better than it was when I left the UK.

School 1: salary and workload similar to UK, but children and admin far more pleasant and great opportunities outside work

School 2: salary much better than UK. Workload slightly less. Tough place to live, but worth it for the experience.

School 3: salary significantly better than UK, workload similar (I have family in teaching in the UK and realise that hours and load by then had been ramped up in the UK - as they also were in my overseas school). Great place to work, great PD opportunities, wonderful life outside of school. Stayed 8 years, but was exhausted by the end hence what I hope will be my final move to...

School 4: salary similar to UK, workload significantly less than UK. Love my life, respected and valued as a teacher, great weather, great travel, wonderful place to be...as I write from my outdoor terrace in November, dog curled at feet and total silence all around. Expect to stay here until retirement (3-4 more years).

All 4 places savings were significantly more than the UK.

Downside: only one. I do miss family at home and in particular when hatches, matches and dispatches happen.

Shedman and eljefeb90 like this.
  16. Bobbbs

Bobbbs Occasional commenter

Yeah, UK teachers are valued equal to or less than other international teachers. It has nothing to do with your standards. In fact, the UK's standard of education is extremely poor compared to many nations. In terms of international rankings, the UK isn't in the top 20 for Reading or Mathematics.

And, as a non UK trained teacher working here, the standard of your teacher training is pretty average.

Honestly, Ofsted is what kills it here. It's a moronic idea to have such an entity. Other nations just have the Department of Education inspect schools, not some quasi public body.

17. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Hello Hippo. I like reading your posts about life in Bulgaria and the other places you have taught - quite an eye opener. Keep up the good work!

18. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

We are going to visit Blenheim Palace for some events they have there this Christmas. In addition to the pricey entrance fee they slap on a £10 parking charge to visit their attraction! Absolutely outrageous and I wouldn't have gone if Mrs Shedman's heart weren't set on it.

19. yasf

or more. We may not be the top of the tree, but we are not at the bottom either.
    Again, not entirely true, although you have a point.
    Depends on how you are comparing. It has as much to do with our class structure, and unwillingness to teach the poor or non-academic, as anything else.
    Neither are most countries of our population size and diversity.

My experience has been that - as a generalisation - Australian and Kiwi teachers are held in the highest regard, followed by Canadians and Brits, with Americans trailing behind somewhere - depending on which state they come from. Needless to say, you then also have the unqualified (or those with an iPGCE from Nottingham, which amounts to the same thing.)

20. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Should have said before you bought the tickets...I'd have charged you just a fiver to park on my drive. Mile or so walk to Blenheim, or I'd give you a lift on the back of my bike? ;)

Shedman likes this.