1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

UK teacher wanting to teach in USA

Discussion in 'Overseas trained teachers' started by lauragreen28, Aug 24, 2015.

1. Hi everybody,

I'm just about to embark on my NQT year having been part of the Teach First Leadership programme (I have one year experience of teaching already due to this) and I am interested in teaching in USA for the academic year 2016/2017.

Does anybody have any advice, tips, information on the best routes for UK teachers teaching in the states?

Thanks so much!

2. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

The hardest part will be getting a green card.

Each state has different requirements. From what I've read you often have to take additional qualifications in some states.

There are some British curriculum schools in the states but they are difficult to get into and are few.

Look on the Teaching Overseas forum as this question has been asked many times.

You will also have to check if your route into teaching is recognised in the different states.