1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

uk teacher wanting to teach in NYC.

Discussion in 'US – Staffroom' started by Jenna16, Oct 26, 2017.

  1. Jenna16

    Jenna16 New commenter

    Hey everyone,

    Just look for some advise, as I recently had a casual interview for a teaching post in NYC and after more research on there part they have asked me to pursue a NYC teaching certificate. Can anyone advise as to how I can obtain one of these from the UK or otherwise. Thank you.

  2. Hi. I'm a certified teacher in NYC. There are several pathways you can take for teaching in general, and for certification. Please be aware that in order to teach in a traditional New York State public school, you must be certified or on your way to becoming certified. You can view the requirements here: https://www.teachercertificationdegrees.com/certification/new-york/

    Please be aware that there are several different types of school systems. Private schools don't have to adhere to certification requirements. They can basically hire anyone. The same goes for Charter Schools (although they like to think of themselves as public schools - they are not.) If you plan to go this route, keep in mind the pay is much less in private schools and you will not be protected by a union. What this means is you will work long hours for little pay and no appreciation.

    Good luck.
    mzmorse likes this.
  3. There are several programs that help you go to school and receive certification as you are beginning your teaching in the classroom. The New York Teaching Fellows program does this. Americorps has programs like this. You can teach WHILE pursuing a certificate. You have several years to obtain the certification.
  4. blazer

    blazer Star commenter

  5. tommylee22

    tommylee22 New commenter

    Hi all,

    I need some advice, I am a recent graduate in England with full QTS. I want to complete my NQT year and then would love to come and teach in the US. I just don't know how I can do this. Most companies require 2 year experiences but I wuld love to teach by 2019. Any advice would be greatly apreciated.

  6. nicolefmccabe

    nicolefmccabe New commenter


    You could try looking at WWW.NYSAIS.COM
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2018
  7. katie120

    katie120 New commenter


    I am currently teaching in NC through VIF (now called Participate). Most programmes like this that sponser your VISA require at least 2 years UK experience. I applied in my second year teaching and was offered a position. The VISA is for 3 years and can be extended to 5.

    There is also a site called Teachers Council that also offer J1.

    Hope this helps!
  8. fredvasco88

    fredvasco88 New commenter

    Hmmm, I think they have some dictatn educational type, no?
  9. sanna993

    sanna993 New commenter

    Hi Tommy

    I just came across this thread, I am in the exact same situation as you! I finish my NQT year this July. I want to try find a teaching position in NYC for Sept 2019. Where you able to find a position in the end? If so how? I’ve been trying to apply to online vacancies and have signed up to a loads of “teaching abroad agencies”
  10. annedonnelly82

    annedonnelly82 New commenter

    Hi I am in the same position, been looking online all over new york for schools. Have you had any luck? Most keep saying I need state certification?! I'd rather avoid doing this as when I looked up the exams it was £800 to complete!

Share This Page