1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

UK teacher / Social Worker living in Nevada needs advice.

Discussion in 'US – Staffroom' started by Mel Campbell, Jan 23, 2018.

  1. Mel Campbell

    Mel Campbell New commenter

    Hi all.

    I was hoping you may be able to offer some advice.

    I'm from the UK originally but now living in America (Nevada). I am just awaiting my work permit/green card - whichever comes first. I'm married to an American and currently bored out of my brain waiting for permission to work.

    I'm a qualified teacher having done my PGCE in Secondary citizenship in 2006/2007. I taught religious studies, history, citizenship, pshe and for one terrible year I also had English language to teach to both ks3 and ks4 (11-16 year olds for the Americans here.) I have worked in mainstream and Special Ed schools and also with special needs children and adults in charity settings e.g. barnardos. I also have a BA (hons) in criminology and sociology. After 5 years teaching I retrained and did a masters in social work and worked in child protection until I arrived here.

    I'm looking into my options and am unsure at this point what I should do. Should I go back to teaching full time? If so is that easy to do? Do I have to do any additional qualifications to teach here. Should I start as a sub? I know the money isn't great but at least its gives me a refresher. I don't really fancy doing frontline SW again and my husband isn't all that keen either having seen how stressful it was in the UK.

    Some American friends have suggested that my qualifications may be suitable for a guidance counsellor or other similar role. Is this correct? And if so how would I go about it?

    Or any other ideas for this confused person?

    Sorry for the long post but I just want to get a few ideas and work out what to do before my permit arrives (hopefully in the next couple of months).
  2. blazer

    blazer Star commenter

  3. Mel Campbell

    Mel Campbell New commenter

Share This Page