1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

uk short breaks...up north?!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by anon1369, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Just looking for some help really.
    Me and my partner were thinking about having a short break, only in the uk but money is a bit tight. We can go during the week (a perk of supply!) so we're thinking of going in the next couple of weeks for 3/4 nights.
    We live in the northwest anyway but were thinking of maybe going up to the lake district or scotland. I have only been the lakes once and never to scotland so wouldn't know where to go. We (I) will be driving so needs to be a manageable distance.
    Any ideas of where to go/best place to book/best place with deals etc etc??
    I have looked around and for 3 nights in a B&B is coming to at least £150 which is a bit too expensive for our current budget so would like it to be as cheap as possible!
    All ideas welcome, thanks!

2. I really love the National Trails - you could find one that fits in with whereever you want to go. You could look at some camping/caravan options to reduce costs if you like - I find this website absolutly great. Just find a trail that suits you, go to its website and there are accomodation links.
    www.nationaltrail.co.uk/

3. Crieff Hydro (rubbish name, but it's a beautiful, Victorian spa hotel) is lovely and they often have good special offers. We went off season and got a good deal.

here's a link to the special offer section.

4. Sorry - just saw your budget is quite small. I would say it'll be tricky finding somewhere for less than £150 for three nights. Is that each or together?

5. Depends on what you're looking for, of course.

6. Thanks that looks like a beautiful place but its too expensive for us :(
    Yes I'm hoping to get somewhere for less than £150 for the both of us. I know its not a lot but hopefully if I keep searching I might be able to get a last minute deal or something.
    Not looking for anything in particular as we have the car to go exploring if necessary. Although some scenary, nice walks and a pub wouldn't go amiss! lol

7. inky

inky Lead commenter

Hae you considered a youth hostel? They have two-bed [not very romantic, grantedrooms nowadays and are quite cosy.They are also often in great locations.
    The one at Ambleside charges £14 a night per adult.

8. inky

inky Lead commenter

9. I can't see any reason to drive much further than the Lakes if money is tight given the ridiculous cost of fuel these days. Almost anywhere in the Lake District would suit your requirements but I would certainly check out prices on somewhere like laterooms.com You could try smoothound.co.uk as well where lots of smaller B&B's post details.

I live in the NorthEast and when we nip over to the Lakes we like to stay around Keswick or Braithwaite. Plenty of good walking, touring and some excellent country pubs with good food (especially in Buttermere). The tourist office in Keswick sometimes has info on good cheap B&B's.

10. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

I'm a huge Crieff Hydro fan, we go at least once a year, but it isn't cheap although I think with children it's excellent value.
    The travelodge in Scarborough is based in what used to be a proper hotel. It's smart and opposite the Grand Hotel so right in the middle of town. You can get a room from £29 per night.
    Excellent value.

11. inky

inky Lead commenter

Lovely walks up there - we saw a sleeping adder on a path near the devil's punch bowl. Plenty of pubs and fish and chip shops and you can take a trip to Whitby.
    At this time of the year, being in town has adantages!

12. inky

inky Lead commenter

O reflection, I'm not sure whether two-bed rooms are hireable by couples - unless they'r'e same sex!
    YMCA!

13. inky

inky Lead commenter

No, I'e just checked - you can hire a room a a couple. It's the dorms that are single sex.
    Go to the YHA cumria site and scroll down the options - some of these places are in beautiful settings ear country pubs. They have restaurants and self-catering kitchens and even operate a starring system.
    Not like the hostels of my youth.

14. Google Akkeron Hotels.
    They have good deals for Harrogate.
    Not too far, beautiful plenty to do.

15. I would second the vote for the YHA in Ambleside-it is actually at Waterhead right on the lake (in front of a row of B&B's that have no view of the lake because of it. We used it as our finishing hostel when doing gold D of E expeditions (stayed in Grasmere hostel before the expedition) and there are 2/3 bedded rooms and power showers (important when you have walked 50 miles with full packs over 4 days).
    The hostel at Helvellyn above Glenridding also has family rooms; hostels usually serve breakfast or you can self cater in the members kitchen-great places to stay and you meet such friendly people-only reason we don't use them now is that you can't take dogs [​IMG]

16. inky

inky Lead commenter

Thanks, jjcool. I was beginning to think that the YH option was so far beneath consideration that folks would be laughing at me for suggesting it!

No offence to the OP intended.