1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

UK School Direct Teaching in California

Discussion in 'Overseas trained teachers' started by georgewheeler8, Jul 26, 2016.

  1. georgewheeler8

    georgewheeler8 New commenter

    Hello all,

    This year I became a qualified teacher of Computer Science through the School Direct (formerly known a GTP) pathway. I am now transitioning to an NQT starting September.

    I am strongly considering moving to Los Angeles and am seeking advice as to whether I would need any additional qualifications to teach there. Can anybody help me?

    My concerns are also whether or not a School Direct qualification would even be recognised abroad like a PGCE is known to be.

    Thanks in advance!
  2. Wotton

    Wotton Lead commenter

    Check on their web site but I believe I read that you will need to take additional qualifications to teach in California even with a pgce.
  3. Wotton

    Wotton Lead commenter

  4. JNolan78

    JNolan78 New commenter

    [This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]



    I live and work in Northern California in the special education field, but I'm trying to move to the UK. No matter what city in California that you live in, the requirements for being a teacher are all the same. Requirements only vary by which state you live in. The State of California requires a BA or BS degree from a university and a teaching credential. However, there are ways to teach without having the teaching credential completed, but you must be working on it. Both public and private schools have to meet the state requirements. Working in LA as a teacher is very rough, unless you work for a district in one of the surrounding areas. The funding and test scores in LA are among the lowest in the nation. If you want to live on the west coast, I suggest Northern California closer to the San Francisco Bay Area and Sacramento. But it's all in what experience you want. You only live once.. take a chance!

    I know it's confusing... trust me, I have been trying to figure out everything for teaching and working in the UK. All the verbiage for degrees, requirements, etc etc is totally different, but basically the same.. but not really.. haha

    Are you eligible for a work visa? If not, they will still let you in. You just have to apply once you are here. It's way different then the UK / EU requirements. I'm having a hell of a time trying to get everything situated. The UK is very strict on immigration compared to the US. I respect that.

    If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I have been here my whole life, born and raised.



Share This Page