1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

UK Riots: Can they be used as Case Study material

Discussion in 'Media studies' started by fluffyhandbag, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Dear all,
    Firstly can I apologise in advance if this post offends anyone on this forum.
    As an individual I am as appalled as anyone else by the criminality of this event, but as a media teacher I'm not afraid to admit I'm fascinated by the potential applications of this material as part of the A2 media syllabus (specifically OCR board)
    Like many of you, I really don't have a team of individuals to bounce ideas off re this issue, therefore the question I'm posing is very simple and meant to generate ideas and trains of thought;
    How would you use this material as part of your teaching and how would you make it specifically fit the specifics of the A2 qualification of the OCR board?
    Right now I can think about it fitting in several of the catogories collective identity, we media, even postmodernism, but I can't see the wood for the trees and need to narrow down my thinking
    As always, thank-you to anybody who chooses to contribute to this discussion .

2. Dear all,
    Firstly can I apologise in advance if this post offends anyone on this forum.
    As an individual I am as appalled as anyone else by the criminality of this event, but as a media teacher I'm not afraid to admit I'm fascinated by the potential applications of this material as part of the A2 media syllabus (specifically OCR board)
    Like many of you, I really don't have a team of individuals to bounce ideas off re this issue, therefore the question I'm posing is very simple and meant to generate ideas and trains of thought;
    How would you use this material as part of your teaching and how would you make it specifically fit the specifics of the A2 qualification of the OCR board?
    Right now I can think about it fitting in several of the catogories collective identity, we media, even postmodernism, but I can't see the wood for the trees and need to narrow down my thinking
    As always, thank-you to anybody who chooses to contribute to this discussion .

3. mediadave

mediadave New commenter

I'm intending to use the news coverage of the riots as a case study for 'Media in the Online Age'. The events themselves are apalling but I think it's entirely possible to analyse the news coverage without going into the specific acts themselves. It might depend on the students you have, of course: I think most case studies need to be chosen with specific groups in mind.
    Anyway, I'm hoping to get my students to look at how news events unfolded online, the use of twitter by sites such as the guardian and BBC news to update people on specific events, the BBC's text-updater which was live during the riots, etc and the ways in which twitter and youtube was used by individuals observing the riots to "make" the news. Not quite sure how this fits into some of the theory - mostly 'We Media', I suppose which will still fit into 'The Online Age'.
    I can't deny that such a big news event is ideal for case study since it's so recent and, hopefully, some students will have been keep up-to-date with the events as they unfolded. You're right, too, in that it can be used for most of the topics: not globalisation or regulation, but probably all of the others.

4. DalekTeacher

DalekTeacher New commenter

I was also thinking of using the riots as exploring the power of media instituitions and looking at audience related theory and address whether the audience just consume without question.

5. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

It strikes me that if you tackle this material so soon after the event you'd need to be very careful about the wider 'PR' angle for your school or college, ie what would the Daily Mail make of it if all? Seriously - we've all seen the anti Media Studies stories in the right wing press, and if you didn't handle this topic very carefully they could have a field day. We can all end up being demonised by such reporting.

That said, a possible side issue or lesson starter might be to look at what defines a 'looter'. During Hurricane Katrina some citizens of New Orleans waded out into the flooded streets to find food in abandoned local stores. At least one report captioned photos of a black citizen 'looting', and white citizens 'finding' supplies.

http://www.snopes.com/katrina/photos/looters.asp

6. I see your point magic surf bus..........I've done the Katrina stuff before in relation to collective identity, representation and stereotyping.
    If I avoid using the material as part of collective identity, then hopefully I'm not placing value judgements on the event or going into the sociological reason for the riots.(Daily Mail territory as you rightly point out!) If I confine it to we media, maybe postmodernism; angles that exam the role of media technology, then perhaps it becomes a less emotive case study.
    Thank-you for taking the time to comment