1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

UK Quarantine

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by GreenGlover, Jul 5, 2020.

1. GreenGlover

GreenGlover New commenter

The newly published list of countries not requiring quarantine includes a disgraceful political decision. It does not include most of China, but does includes two small parts of it. It also includes several countries that have 100+ cases a day.

I just hope this does not impact on China's decision to open its borders to UK teachers

2. jemmajames71

jemmajames71 New commenter

Agree. We are in Thailand. No cases yet we have to quarantine on return to the UK!

3. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

Well it was never going to follow the data was it?

Tourism, economy and politics.

Plenty of countries with significantly lower cases and deaths left off the list. And yes, in some of those countries the data may be somewhat circumspect, but they’re NOT hiding thousands of deaths, maybe a few hundred at the very most...unlike the UK with 20 odd thousand excess deaths for the time of year which haven’t been attributed to covid.

Teachallover and migratingbird like this.
  4. desertphantom

desertphantom New commenter

After all this and still defending China... and yes what with the pandemic and now the Hong Kong situation I can't see either country being exactly hospitable to each other for a while. Personally I'm glad that a western government has finally demonstrated some sort of backbone.

kstainsb likes this.
  5. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

Unprecedented increase in stress, cancellation of life-saving treatments, increased road deaths could easily make up the 20,000.

6. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

@T0nyGT agreed...covid collateral.

T0nyGT likes this.
  7. SecondPlace

SecondPlace Occasional commenter

Unlikely there were more road deaths...no-one was driving...

8. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

Unlikely but definitely factual in some places at least. I know at least a few US states had increased road deaths. What happens is, everyone assumes no one is driving and lots of people took this as an invitation to speed.

Officially there was a 57% increase in speeding fines for during the lockdown

9. SPC2

SPC2 Occasional commenter

Cabinet ministers, government advisors and officials breaking quarantine restrictions in mad dashes for holiday homes and extra-marital liaisons?

motorhomer likes this.
  10. SecondPlace

That is surprising. Very counter intuitive, and very interesting.

11. SecondPlace

Land speed records broken on roads to Durham...?

12. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

T0nyGT likes this.
  13. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

There is no such thing as UK quarantine. Scotland has drawn up a different list of countries from the uk government. Travelers from Scotland to Spain do not need to quarantine on arrival but will have to quarantine when they go back to Scotland.

makhnovite likes this.
  14. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

There's no such thing as UK quarantine full stop, there is no-one to enforce it anyway. It's just something that we are being seen to be doing.

Teachallover likes this.
  15. SecondPlace

Sadly, I think at this point if I was to go to the UK I would quarantine myself to avoid everyone else...

...and then quarantine on the return to protect where I am.

Such a lack of leadership in the UK at the moment (well, mostly England I guess).

TeacherMan19 likes this.
  16. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

That appears to be the figure reported by Greater Manchester Police for the week of 30th March only. National figures from 23rd March lockdown start until now are somewhat elusive but may be out there somewhere. Speeding certainly seems to have increased everywhere at the start of lockdown but it's not clear how far that has continued in the months following.

According to this BBC item on 29th June the national picture was mixed but most police forces reported a reduction in speeding.

But a Freedom of Information request found many forces in the UK saw a decrease in speeding as traffic fell.

Kent Police and Derbyshire Constabulary also recorded year-on-year rises in speeding incidents, up 53% and 41% respectively, according to data obtained by the PA news agency.

But the majority of forces who provided data recorded an overall decrease, amid a drop in traffic of around two-thirds as people were urged to stay at home.