1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

UK Primary School to US Elementary?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by daniel_hicklin, Apr 18, 2016.

1. daniel_hicklin

daniel_hicklin New commenter

Hi everyone!

I'm an NQT living in the UK (North-West England) and was wondering whether anyone could shed some light on the likelihood of me being able to apply for jobs in the US? It's something I've wanted to do for a while but have absolutely no idea where to start!

Does anyone have an experience of this or can point me in the right direction?

I'd really like to teach in New York but am aware that the legislations for teaching can differ from state to state.

I'd really appreciate any feedback/ help that people can give.

2. gem27_88

gem27_88 New commenter

Hi Daniel,

I think that your best bet in getting a job in the US is by applying for an international or British school (that's what I did) You can find international jobs on TES which is where I found the school I am currently working at (Chicago) However most international schools do ask for about 2 years experience so it might be worth keeping an eye on in the mean time. On the whole the international schools are better to work in as opposed to a state school as you usually get better packages such as healthcare and if you're lucky accommodation etc. You will also follow a curriculum that is familiar to you on the whole.
    You are right that depending on what state you teach in depends on the teaching qualification but I do believe that on the whole UK qualifications are not recognized in the US and you would have to complete a teacher preparation program which you can only do once you are in the US (getting to the US without a job can be difficult in itself) Depending on the state their maybe other qualifications that you have to complete as well.
    Getting a job in the US is not impossible but you may have to be more flexible on where in the US you would like to work and take into consideration cost of living, somewhere like New York would be very high! If you have any questions let me know!

Good Luck!