1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

UK pension and returning to Oz?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by tassiegirl, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Does anyone know if there is truth to the rumour that I can only access my teaching pension in the uk at whatever age ( of probably 70 odd!) if I have paid into it for 10years? What happens to it if I leave here before that time? Can I claim it from wherever in the world I am living? Does it just count as extra income and then I am taxed on it subject to that countries rates? Or am I better off withdrawing it and investing it? Does any one if the tax office can give me this info, or what type of financial planner can give me this info? Thanks

2. Does anyone know if there is truth to the rumour that I can only access my teaching pension in the uk at whatever age ( of probably 70 odd!) if I have paid into it for 10years? What happens to it if I leave here before that time? Can I claim it from wherever in the world I am living? Does it just count as extra income and then I am taxed on it subject to that countries rates? Or am I better off withdrawing it and investing it? Does any one if the tax office can give me this info, or what type of financial planner can give me this info? Thanks

3. You just need 2 years to get a pension, which you could get any time from the age of 55 (if you take it early with reduced payments).
    The options can be seen on a factsheet on the TPS website;
    http://www.teacherspensions.co.uk/resources/pdf/Fact%20Sheets/Leaving%20Pensionable%20Employment.pdf
    If you have pai in for more than 2 years you cant get a repayment.
    Phone the TPS if you want information relating to your return to Oz.