1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

UK Nationals who have gained teaching positions in America?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by c_l_ridley, Nov 4, 2019.

1. c_l_ridley

c_l_ridley New commenter

Broad question! Have you? Is it possible? I've seen a few posts where people have said they've applied and received teaching jobs in the USA, but they seem fairly old. A lot of what I've seen is regarding the 3 year exchange system. What is the best route for someone who hopes to stay beyond 3 years.

I understand that it's difficult - although surely not impossible? Any ideas? No trolls please. :)

2. twigtwig

twigtwig New commenter

Send me a conversation and i'll talk you through my experience in the US.

3. BarryRiley

BarryRiley New commenter

I have exactly the same question. Thinking of applying for some jobs in the USA (with the NA group) but don't know whether there's any chance of a Green card afterwards. If there's little to no chance of making it a permanent move then I wouldn't bother.

4. c_l_ridley

c_l_ridley New commenter

I will do! Just trying to figure out how to do that!

5. c_l_ridley

c_l_ridley New commenter

Yup! It'd be awful if you got really settled during those 3 years and have it feel like home - only to have to return!

6. c_l_ridley

c_l_ridley New commenter

Could you send me a conversation first? I can't figure out how to do it! I click on conversations but there's no option to start a new one.

7. 576

576 Established commenter

People I used to work with in the UK, went to the US to work for NA.

BarryRiley likes this.
  8. BarryRiley

BarryRiley New commenter

I know a few people who have been but all have come back. My question is whether there is ever an opportunity for a green card sponsored by the school

c_l_ridley likes this.
  9. c_l_ridley

c_l_ridley New commenter

What is this NA group? I googled it and it just came up with narcotics anonymous :’)

10. BarryRiley

BarryRiley New commenter

Yes, that's the one....

No, not allowed to name them but they have British schools in:

- Washington
    - Boston
    - Charlotte
    - Houston

Search for those and you'll find it

11. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

Before NA took over the group it was possible to stay on and go for green card/citizenship. I personally know of three people who did this....long and drawn out process. The schools used to help out with it. Taking 10 years plus.

My understanding now is that the visa you are on doesn’t allow for this. I don’t know if this was an upshot of NA taking over the group or if it was just a change in the visa the authorities would issue.

BarryRiley likes this.
  12. loranp

loranp New commenter

No. No chance. I worked for NA in the US. They do not sponsor green cards.

13. loranp

loranp New commenter

I believe it is NA. I worked for the previous group and then for NA when they took over. The visa they issue is still the same.