1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

UK NARIC - comparing overseas qualifications?

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by Lottie03, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Hi there,
    Probably a long shot, but has anyone ever used this company: http://www.naric.org.uk/index.asp to compare overseas qualifications?
    I did my exams in France but need to prove that they are equivalent to GCSE (at least) grade C in English, Maths & Science as I want to apply for a GTP so wanted to check if anyone had used that organisation before.
    Any help would be appreciated - thanks!

2. I have used UK NARIC before. Basically I just sent them photocopies of my certificates at various levels and they sent me a letter saying what each category of certificate was equivalent to. In my case they stated something like, "Taking a class in the last four years of secondary school is equivalent to a GCSE." I think if you pay extra you can get a certificate stating specifically that you have the equivalent of an English or Maths GCSE pass.
    To be honest, the university that accepted me for the PGCE has not yet asked to see the UK NARIC letter and accepted at face value that what I said was equal to a GCSE pass was indeed equal. I don't know if that's just because they're used to my qualifications (I did secondary school in the US). I assume they'd also be familiar with French ones, but I don't know for sure and I can't speak for all providers.
    What UK NARIC does not do is translate your score.
    If nothing else, it was worth using the company just because it was interesting to see what my various qualifications translated to officially.

Hope that helps! I'd be happy to tell you more if you have other questions

3. Hi
    UK NARIC is the organisation that all the university providers use to check qualifications, so if you get your qualifications verified by them universities and providers will accept the verifications.
    James

4. Thank you very much for your lovely advice - very helpful! Think I'll definitely be using UK NARIC as don't want to risk any applications!

5. if

if

A word of warning: Universities don't seem to consider prerequisits when translating your qualifications.
    I hold a qualification which is considered by NARIC as equivalent to Chemistry at foundation degree level which the University acknowledged would require a Maths skill level at least comparable to A level...but I still had to pass a Maths GCSE to get onto my course because my NARIC equivalents did not specifically include GCSE Maths.
    NARIC is very useful to show what qualifications you do have though!