1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Uk MFL Teacher moving to BC, Canada

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Agy_MFL, Aug 23, 2018.

1. Agy_MFL

Agy_MFL New commenter

Hi guys,

Anybody recently moved from the UK to BC in Canada? Any advice on teaching or the process of converting QTS to BC. equivalent? How do you find it in the classroom? I have just recently moved to the East Kootenays and going through the process of converting my uk qualifications to the BC equivalent and finding it slow going. Was hoping to be in a classroom maybe on substitute basis at the start of the new school year but looks like that might not happen....

2. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

There are quite a few threads on here about teaching in Canada. It is not an easy thing to do. Many Canadians move overseas to teach because there is a surplus of them at home. The waiting lists to get supply jobs are long, and permanent jobs are even longer. I've heard of people waiting years after qualifying to get even a part time teaching job. I fear you're going to find it quite hard.

If things have changed and I'm wrong, I'd be glad to hear it. Hopefully someone will come along soon with some up to date info for you on BC.

3. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

I have 8 teachers at my current school from BC. All left Canada because they couldnt get a job. From what they keep saying its next to impossible to get a job there, and the rest of Canada as a whole. The international circuit is flooded with them.

Best of luck though

4. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

In my small school there are about 5 Canadian teachers. I always thought it was odd how you could go through life never meeting a Canadian and then meet 100 when you started international teaching

blueskydreaming and dumbbells66 like this.
  5. Ne11y

Ne11y Occasional commenter

I had a friend get into teaching in BC, but:

1. It's in a small town area.
    2. They never planned on getting back into teaching but started out in a completely different line of work.

You seem to be in a similar sort of area, so I would suggest that you focus on non-teaching work for a bit (a few years, potentially) and then see where things take you, as it seemed to work very well for my friend (who is now a happy Canadian citizen and house owner!).

That gives you time to build connections, sort out your paperwork and enjoy your new home!

6. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

7. swsimp160

swsimp160 Occasional commenter

Have Canadian citizenship and two teaching spells in BC (Vancouver) with last one ending January 2017. Canadian bureaucracy is the worst on earth and the BC college of teachers the worst of the worst. Requirements for registration are, to say the least, demanding e.g do you have six university credits in very specific English courses? That is one of many many requirements a UK teacher may not have. No teaching jobs at all and I am IB trained Maths/Chemistry. Even tutoring is awful with AP calculus paying $18/hour (£35 in UK, $70 in Oz for equivalent). Only decent jobs where you are in demand in Vancouver/BC is in healthcare. My wife is a midwife and easily made $200 000 a year. Still not enough for us to stay. Right wing BC government, very greed driven society in greater Vancouver. Huge problems with drugs, homelessness, property crime and muggings. Rents through the roof. House costs on par with London but awful jobs market. Awful healthcare and impossible to even register with a GP. Rains month after month after month, as in non stop, all winter, Now Vancouver 20 years ago was a very different story. Just my opinions/experience. You could get lucky.