1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

UK holidays post lockdown

Discussion in 'Personal' started by littlejackhorner, Jul 10, 2020.

1. littlejackhorner

littlejackhorner Occasional commenter

I have just had a short break in the Lake District and it was quite a revelation about how holidays are going to be for the foreseeable future.
    On a positive note we have never seen the Lakes so quiet. We were lucky with the weather and were able to enjoy the beautiful countryside without it being too crowded.
    However if or experience is typical then forget any thoughts of spontaneity and expect to plan your break like a military operation!
    All tourist attractions had to be booked online with timed slots to ensure numbers stayed within guidelines.
    We had to pre book places for our evening meal and saw many people turned away because pubs and restaurants had reached capacity. If we wanted a drink afterwards we would have had to join a qqueue.This was when the town was pretty quiet so I would imagine it would be a bit of a nightmare once the school holidays begin.
    I had paid for a lovely 4 star hotel as a treat as we have had several holidays cancelled due to the lockdown. The hotel was nice and the staff were constantly cleaning. However, there is no housekeeping provided in your room during your stay to minimise risk to staff. I understand this completely but part of the luxury for me staying in a hotel is returning at the end of the day to a freshly cleaned room and the beds remade.
    I'm sure different places will develop different routines and strategies to deal with this but if my experience is typical I'm not sure I will be as keen to go away in future.

2. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Your experience is exactly the reason I don't really want to go on holiday at the moment. But when we do go in September we'll do things a big differently to minimise the 'weird'. We like being on our own, and the cottage we're staying in in Northumberland is right by the beach. with only a few other houses. We'll take lots of nice food and drink with us. The only place we expect to eat out is the cafe down the road which has a big outside area. We won't go to anything you have to pay to get into. If it's nice we'll go in the sea and if it's not we'll walk and read our books. It's not that we don't want to go to cafes and pubs and shops, but if the experience is going to be unsettling then I'd rather give it a miss. My idea of luxury is not to see anyone except my husband, so I'm fine not being in a hotel! I'm glad you had a nice time though. It's interesting to hear a first hand experience.

We go out every Friday when my husband's off work. It's lovely, but not being able to drop into a cafe for a cup of tea and a cake is just so sad really. It'll come, but I don't want to at the moment, and missing it as part of a day out brings home the strangeness of everything.

agathamorse likes this.
  3. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Interestingly we had an e-mail from the camper van dealership where we bought our latest vehicle brand new only two years ago. They were asking if we wanted to sell it. As if.

Makes me wonder if they're anticipating a surge in demand.

4. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

The way the weather's been here for weeks, I'm seriously considering throwing caution to the wind and flying anywhere sunny that'll take me.

vannie, chelsea2, ilovesooty and 2 others like this.
  5. littlejackhorner

To be honest, we were originally going to book a week in a nice cottage. The problem was that they were very expensive and we had to pay up front with no chance of a refund for cancelling. The situation is ever changing so we wanted the flexibility that this hotel offered which was free cancellation until 3pm the day before arriving.
    I think that my experience proves that self catering is still probably the best option at the moment.

agathamorse likes this.
  6. littlejackhorner

That wouldn't surprise me. We got talking to a couple who had come in their camper van and they said nearly every campsite in the area was completely booked up.

agathamorse likes this.
  7. littlejackhorner

I can empathise with that but I think I will wait until my friend goes to Greece later this month. Let's see what she has to say about the whole experience.

Aquamarina1234 and agathamorse like this.
  8. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

Which is exactly why I'm still intending to go on my planned holiday if the flight is still there.

9. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Holidays are best forgotten about this Summer I think.

10. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

@littlejackhorner, I agree with you - when you make beds, clean bathrooms and tidy up every other day of the year, not having to do it is a really special part of the hotel experience! That's what has made us book a super-luxury caravan in Devon, with a deck, barbecue and hot tub. Overlooks the beach. It wasn't cheap but wasn't nearly as prohibitively expensive as it would normally be as we've been told that nothing else will be open on the park - no swimming pool, clubhouse, etc ... although we were told that when we booked just before rules were slightly relaxed. It won't matter at all to us, we should have comfortable accommodation, lovely walks and a hot tub to relax in.

Still looking forward to Spain next year though!

littlejackhorner likes this.
  11. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

We've nothing planned. We may consider a few days away in late September, providing the second peak hasn't arrived by then.

12. maggie m

maggie m Lead commenter

I was looking at a self catering break at a favourite spot in Dorset. Several nice places were available in early September . Internet went down. Never mind I thought will book in the morning. Then in the morning post a summons for jury service arrived . Grrrr

agathamorse likes this.
  13. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Off to the Lake District on Monday in my campervan.
    At least you don't have to book to walk!!
    And I rarely eat out (except fish & chips) when away on my own.
    If it's quiet too - a bonus!

agathamorse likes this.
  14. Flowersinspring

Flowersinspring Lead commenter

Any thoughts for October half term? I'm hoping we'll be able to go somewhere abroad then. Really hoping. Seriously, hopefully hoping.

agathamorse likes this.
  15. littlejackhorner

You could do what we have done for September. I've booked a week in Spain. I booked direct with the hotel and it's free cancellation up until the day before. If we got to departure day and then had a local lockdown we would only get charged for 1 night. The flight was next to nothing so it wouldn't bother me losing that money.
    Our insurance will cover us for Covid related illness but not cancellation linked to Covid.

Flowersinspring likes this.
  16. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

No they just want to make money. they sold it to you at a profit. They buy it off you at a "Trade in" price, then sell it again at another profit. If anything the demand for such vehicles is depressed so they buy it off you with all the salesman flannel to give you an insulting low price. They call it "business".

17. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

The second schools break up here, our whole street's jiggering off somewhere. Our neighbourhood WhatsApp has been pinging all morning with requests for cat-feeding, veg watering and post-pushing.

18. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I understand all of that, having traded in our previous camper to buy the new one. We'd had it ten years and got about 50% of its original price at trade in which compares favourably to most cars. My thinking is that more people will be after self-contained self-catering non flying holidays in future, so anyone selling camping type equipment could see in increase in sales in the short term. I reckon they're anticipating future demand.

19. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I think a lot of people who manage to jet off to Spain or Greece this Summer might be a bit disappointed when they get there and find that many of the things they were used to doing are simply not available.

The sort of overseas holidays that my wife and I like to do are simply not there this year.

But to those that do - best of luck.

20. angiebabe

angiebabe Occasional commenter

Just returned from 3 days in a barn conversion in Wye Valley. We were first in since lockdown and it was immaculately clean with plenty of sanitiser available. Visited 2 National Trust properties nearby but had to book time to arrive Encountered very few people and everything set up for social distancing. Suited us just fine.
    Have to say it was the first time I’d travelled in my daughter’s customised campervan. It is an automatic 4 wheel drive and luxurious. I wish I was 30 years younger and could think of investing in one for myself. Fabulous.
    They are off to France next week to camp for 2 weeks.