1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

UK has lost its measles-free status...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nomad, Aug 19, 2019.

1. nomad

nomad Star commenter

... just three years after the virus was eliminated in the country. In the first quarter of 2019, there were 231 confirmed cases in the UK.

Apparently due to a combination of complacency in the belief that measles no longer is a threat and those reckless people who are still convinced that MMR poses a risk.

2. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Perhaps children should not be allowed to start school until they have been vaccinated. A doctor on tv this morning gave an excellent example of what would happen if a child with measles went to school. In a class of 30 children 27 would catch measles and out of those 27 children 2 of them would be left with serious complications.

The people who refuse to have the MMR jab need to seriously think about their actions.

emerald52, bevdex, vannie and 10 others like this.
  3. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Blame the Internet for the anti-vaxx movement going viral.

4. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

This is another circular argument and could well do with a change in approach.

For example, instead of hurling abuse at those parents who choose not to vaccinate their kids, why not invest in seminars and open days perhaps at libraries where health officials - without the eye rolling and abuse - explain calmly how vaccines work and why it would be a good idea and safe to choose them.

This is the only option I feel as the more people hurl abuse, the more those against feel they may well have a point.

emerald52 likes this.
  5. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

Libraries?
    Are there any left?
    We still have one but it’s only open three days a week. And it’s usually pretty empty when I go to change my books.
    :(

6. blue451

blue451 Senior commenter

People who don't want to trust science and scientists.
    We are being dragged backwards in terms of medicine and into an irreversible catastrophe in terms of the climate.
    Because people - even teachers and former teachers on this forum - think they know better than the experts.

7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

"We understand you love your kids very much and we'd love to invite you to some support seminars we've organised that will look at the evidence for and against as well as some of the fake news out there... we really hope you and your family come p.s. free cake!"

V.s.

"You stupid people are so thick ... So utterly thick. You probably voted for trump/Brexit and you're racist too"

I wonder which would work? Dale Carnegie would know.

emerald52 likes this.
  8. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Our local library is going to be run by a local Special Needs School, providing experience for their 6th form pupils. They already run a sweet shop, and a coffee shop. Great experience for them, but (assuming they won't be paid) is it exploitation? Hopefully the library will still be a hub for a range of other services.

Lara mfl 05 and smoothnewt like this.
  9. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Doesn't turn them against anti-vaxxers condemning big Pharma, overwhelming babies' immune systems and so on.

10. Nanook_rubs_it

Nanook_rubs_it Star commenter

I've think health professionals have tried the public information approach and that hasn't worked; Facebook 'experts' seem to have greater influence.

Maybe excluding those who aren't vaccinated (without medical reason) from state schools may work, if not as an inducement, then at least reducing the risk of infection for others?

11. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

https://newsthump.com/2019/08/19/wh...pent-three-years-publicly-denouncing-experts/

"As the World Health Organisation said the UK can no longer be considered Measles-free, Johnson has ordered an investigation to find out why parents stopped listening to experts.

As one Whitehall insider told us, “The UK was declared measles-free in 2016, but for some unfathomable reason, parents have become less trusting of experts since then – no, we have no idea why."

12. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Since the UK was measles free, why would you want to take unpaid leave from work to get your child immunised?

13. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

The World isn't and we aren't closing borders.

Jesmond12 likes this.
  14. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I'd be hurling way more than abuse at anyone who left my kids with serious complications. Not that they will, because my children, grandchildren, nephews and nieces have had every vaccine available. No side effects apart from slight soreness at the site for a few hours and a bit grumpy for the rest of the day.
    The procedure takes minutes during a booked appointment, lilachardy. Why would you need to take the day off ?

monicabilongame and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  15. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

... I'm just giving you the excuse people use. I'm 100% pro vaccine.

If I need a doctor's appointment I have to take 2 hours off work, minimum. It does take more than the minutes of the actual appointment.

Lara mfl 05 and Aquamarina1234 like this.
  16. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Because doing it once a generation ago isn't sufficient. The message needs to be repeated for each subsequent generation... especially this present one that is constantly being bombarded with the message that their forebears have messed things up... killed the planet... ruined the country with Brexit... we're all racists.... why should they believe that previous generations were right when shysters peddle such dangerous deceptions?

17. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

I was at Uni (Mid 70s) with a chap who had measles late, when he was secondary school. It stuffed up his hearing, and he wore a deaf aid in both ears.

Think back to the days before the polio vaccines. Remember the collecting boxes outside the chemists, shaped like a little girl or boy wearing calipers on their legs?

18. Nellyfuf2

Nellyfuf2 Occasional commenter

"In a class of 30 children 27 would catch measles and out of those 27 children 2 of them would be left with serious complications."
    No not at all. Only those who had not been vaccinated would get measles - 87%. Plus the one unvaccinated who had the misfortune to be standing in a bus queue when Rosa, the migrant - or tourist - sneezed on them,

19. Nellyfuf2

Nellyfuf2 Occasional commenter

Measles cure by the Mighty Ming Boris - the people's hero.
    So what news is being hidden today?

blue451 likes this.
  20. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

I was quoting an example assuming that none of the children had been vaccinated. It was to show how contagious measles is.

bombaysapphire likes this.