1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

UK Grocery Shortages - March Poll

Discussion in 'Personal' started by DrLinus, Mar 28, 2020.

?

What products have you been unable to buy - at any time - in March due to empty shelves?

1. Bread

37.3%
  2. Milk

33.3%
  3. Meat or eggs

49.0%
  4. Fruit or vegetables

23.5%
  5. Baby food

2.0%
  6. Toilet or kitchen roll

62.7%
  7. Period proucts

5.9%
  8. Soaps or sanitisers

64.7%
  9. Pet foods

9.8%
  10. Others - please state

31.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. DrLinus

DrLinus Established commenter

Only a poll recording incidence of shortages during March, the first month of covid-19's depredations in the UK, not a place to dispute them.
    Multiple responses possible. Please respond in good grace. thank you.

Stay safe.

2. WB

WB Senior commenter

Do don't think it's that simple

2 weeks ago the shelves were empty. I walked around Sainsburys on a Friday evening and it felt scary

Yesterday the shelves were fine. Bit low on tinned soup but no oversall shortage.

I have voted though.

pepper5 and DrLinus like this.
  3. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

Still can't get toilet paper or pasta. No pasta left in the house. Milk rationed to 1 4pt per shopper and bread to 1 per shopper. Trouble with the bread and milk is that it then results in shopping more often so I can't limit it to once a week.

Jamvic, moose2, pepper5 and 2 others like this.
  4. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Our local Spar has just about everything. Bread stacked high, this morning. Loo roll aplenty. They even have big bags of compost, anticipating the home growers.
    Hardly any meat, though, but there's a farm shop, locally.
    I've managed to avoid the massive supermarkets for weeks and am scared to go! Might have a quick drive to a Waitrose, which is fairly small. But, not at the weekend.

pepper5, agathamorse and DrLinus like this.
  5. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Wotton, can you get yeast and bread flour? Make your own loaves.:)

pepper5 and agathamorse like this.
  6. peakster

peakster Star commenter

We were just able to buy toilet roll and tomato paste from Tesco

Shelves seem much better stocked than on previous visits

pepper5, DrLinus and agathamorse like this.
  7. WB

WB Senior commenter

There's no such thing as a weekend at the moment.
    Every day is like every other day.

8. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I was planning on going to Stevenage v Scunthorpe today

A real clash of the Titans.

cassandramark2 and agathamorse like this.
  9. agathamorse

agathamorse Senior commenter

Haven't been to the supermarkets in over a week but there was no breaf flour, yeast, milk, longlife milk or even powdered milk. Got milk and bread from the corner shop.

10. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

My local co-op is well stocked except for meat and toilet roll.

Sadly the village bakery has closed due to it being very small and not able to provide the safe distancing requirements.

agathamorse and DrLinus like this.
  11. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Our local Waitrose is controlling entry, limiting numbers, and sanitising trolleys so it's safer than most. Aldi may be doing the same with limiting numbers - there was a queue outside anyway. Our local Sainsbury's the other day wasn't doing any of this, although they had sort of distancing at the checkouts.

UHT milk? Dried skimmed milk? Coffee Mate/Marvel?

I'm only using milk for cereal and then not much, when the fresh runs out it's over to UHT or dried skimmed for as long as possible. I'm alternating lunchtime bread with wraps so the loaf lasts longer, then we'll probably start baking our own bread until the strong flour runs out.

You might have better luck with odds and sods in smaller shops.

I'm doing my level best to avoid supermarkets for as long as possible now but may have to pop down to the village Spar for fresh veg if the tinned alternatives run out. I think five a day may have to go on hold for a while. Maybe three a day.

12. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Our Simply Fresh had the gluten free things I wanted to try so I'm made up as they say. hate to think how expensive they were though. As for our butcher, we phoned and asked him to put aside a half shoulder of lamb for our anniversary dinner tomorrow, saying we wanted enough for four meals - its bloody enormous and cost £16. We did just have to pop in and pick it up though. The price of convenience.
    Btw I freeze milk - it works perfectly for me, but am lactose free at the moment too.
    BTW again, some of your items are n/a so pretty nonsensical really - sorry, no offence intended.

13. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

Cant get baked beans regardless of the brand. Pasta is also impossible to obtain. Toilet roll not possible to get from local supermarket but got some from a small shop. I refuse to get up at first light and start queuing for hours which I suspect is the only way of getting the panic buyers favourites. Our Tescos has now started making people queue to get into the shop regardless of time of day. At first people kept a two metre distance but I noticed when walking past yesterday this is now being ignored. An obvious breeding ground for the virus.

14. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

Our Waitrose yesterday had:

Toilet rolls
    Pasta. ( mainly spaghetti but a few packs of pasta bows)
    Tinned tomatoes
    Milk
    Flour
    A good range of Fresh fruit and veg
    Chicken

Yes Waitrose seem to have a good, supervised, safety regime operating and plenty of staff to restock shelves etc too.
    ( I gather they have redeployed John Lewis staff to help out)

Edit: and customers seemed to be cooperating well with ‘the rules’ (the good weather helped)

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
    agathamorse likes this.
  15. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

I wish I lived wherever you live.:)

agathamorse likes this.
  16. WB

WB Senior commenter

A can hear the trumpets from the theme to Rocky as I read this.

agathamorse likes this.
  17. agathamorse

agathamorse Senior commenter

Trying to get hold of longlife milk or skimned milk. There just isn't any round here. Thought I'd try Amazon Grocery: £9.99 for a can of Marvel. That was last week, I just checked and they don't have anymore.

peakster and DrLinus like this.
  18. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

I was surprised. I was there mid -late morning. I commented on the stock to the checkout lady and she said that after the initial panic/shock/rush, the supply chains were settling down a bit.
    Some of the items were not the usual brands but had clearly been newly sourced - the pasta, for example, appeared to have been made for a European market and could well be a ‘one off’

Edit. The one thing they didn’t have was their own brand sensitive skin shower gel. So I’m not showering - so that should ensure good social distancing;):D

19. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Yes, I'm finding that the journey to Waitrose for the silver hour is the best solution. Nothing major out of stock and occasional bargains still to be had (four hot cross buns for 10p this morning). Baked-instore bread was missing, but they had only just opened when I went round, so perhaps the ovens hadn't warmed up. There was plenty of other bread.

agathamorse likes this.
  20. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Tesco were doing that as well last Thursday. I suspect all supermarkets were told they have to.

Haven't seen flour for ages. I wonder whether powdered egg will make a return?

agathamorse likes this.