1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

UK GCSE reforms & moving abroad

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by klgovier3, Oct 13, 2015.

1. klgovier3

klgovier3 New commenter

I am looking to take a sabbatical next year to trial teaching abroad. However, with the reforms to the GCSE syllabus' and grading system, I am concerned that taking a year abroad may effect my job prospects once I return to the UK.

Does any know if similar changes are happening to the IGCSE courses taught at international schools?

2. Bytor

Bytor Occasional commenter

Why worry?

There are always changes.

Whether it is exam boards, syllabus, a school's internal systems and monitoring.

You cope, you learn, you gain experience.

You could face the same by just moving within the UK.

Just remain aware of what's going on in the UK, the discussions in the profession, and your ex-colleagues' experiences in the UK.

Any decent school, home or abroad, will provide support to new staff to enable them to learn the vagaries of the boards etc they use.

3. jpgreenwood

jpgreenwood Occasional commenter

I'd agree with almost all of Bytor's post above - I certainly wouldn't let changes to GCSEs hold me back, but as for schools providing support to help them learn about exam boards, that hasn't been my experience.

It's just one of those things you have to figure out... get the specifications as soon as they're released, go through them with a fine tooth comb & look for the inevitable addenda and updates as they appear.

4. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

kigovier3, if you are so worried about your job prospects once you return to the UK, then perhaps the best thing to do would be to stay in the UK. Or stay overseas. Either way, you will not have to worry about how going overseas might affect your career in the UK. In any case, most international schools do not offer one year contracts, although you might get something for a shorter period if it is maternity cover or someone has done a runner.

As for what is going on in the UK, Bytor, I would say that it is one of the main reasons why I prefer teaching in an international school.

5. TonyGT

TonyGT Established commenter

I'm a little confused about your use of the word 'sabbatical'. A sabbatical is a year off which is given by an employer (originally only used in University terms) for self-improvement. After the initial year you return to the original workplace. So if you're actually taking a sabbatical, then getting a job afterwards wouldn't be an issue as you'd just go back to your previous workplace.

If rather than sabbatical you just mean 'quitting your job and going overseas for a year' you will find this very difficult as very few schools are going to offer you a one-year contract due to the cost of employing you. They will usually want 2 years at least (unless you just don't tell them)

6. Orwellvision

Orwellvision New commenter

Edexcel IGCSE courses are also changing their grading system. Maths and English will be starting anew in September 2016 and other subjects will follow the year after.

All info here.

http://qualifications.pearson.com/e...l-GCSE-2016-and-2017-updates-int-schools.html

7. nemo.

nemo. Occasional commenter

Basically changes show how brain dead educational policy makers are.

The simplest solution is that GCSE/IGCSE just have a normalised % (large subjects Bell curved) and then report that. Smaller subjects would need grade referencing. It reflects the reality and why is a kid with 79% with a B so much worse than one with 80% with an A? Just gives the %'s! We can all do the Math (well maybe Educational experts in the UK can't :) )

8. electricsheep

electricsheep New commenter

enjoy your year abroad...maybe you will see the light and stay abroad! It's all in a sorry state in the UK now. And I agree with other poster who say 'why worry?'...you will get a job on returning because so many teachers are leaving the profession.