1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

UK Degree Authentication Within China

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by spanboy, Oct 19, 2018.

1. spanboy

spanboy Occasional commenter

I've been told that, for the purposes of a renewal of my Z visa, I need to have a copy of my UK-issued degree certificate re-authenticated again. I'm already in Beijing and have looked on the British Embassy website but it doesn't seem that I can get this done here. Or am I mistaken? I've sent them an email to double check but it could take ages to get a reply.

Can anyone please advise me of the easiest/cheapest way to get it done without me having to leave Beijing? Or can I do it here, after all?

TIA

2. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

Seems odd...18 months ago the consulate in Shanghai did mine for me.

3. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

Out of curiosity I just looked it up. It appears to me as well that the British government no longer offer this service. They were probably inundated with requests.

They really don’t make it easy for you these days. I needed a DBS to cover the period in the UK ten years prior to commencement of my employment. Had already worked for them for 8 years. Could I get one? No chance as not living in UK. Fortunately we found a way round that was accepted partly to do with the fact that 10 years before 2009 was 1999 and there were no DBS or CRB checks then...just list 99 and I had police checks from 2003 onwards.

Just a suggestion, I have a lawyer in the UK who is also a notary and he has done stuff for me in the past via email/courier service. Can you find one? Not cheap, but cheaper than flying home.

4. february31st

february31st Established commenter

The Embassy can Notarize your documents as yoy are a RESIDENT of China.

Had all my documents done in the UK during the summer holidays.

5. spanboy

Thanks for replies - am going to turn up on the Embassy doorstep Monday afternoon and see what they say. Will keep the thread informed in case anyone else is in the same situation.

6. rachel_g41

rachel_g41 Established commenter

I can't help with this thread, but before I headed off to school in August and knowing I'd be looking for a post for January, I left, with a notary who has helped me before, copies of all certificates and my passport, so that he could begin the notarisation/legalisation process without my having to go back to the UK.

It's worth considering, if you know you'll be leaving a school and are not yet sure of where you'll be going.

7. february31st

february31st Established commenter

I did the whole process in a week for Degree,BEd and Letter from DfE. Total cost of Notary, FCO, enverlops and postage about 180GBP.

8. spanboy

UPDATE: So I went to the British Embassy in BJ and this cannot be done via them. If anyone is in the same boat, however, and needs their UK, US, Aust (etc) degree authenticating within China, it CAN be done via the following link, which is all in Chinese and will need passing on to your Chinese HR dept:

http://www.cscse.edu.cn/publish/portal0/tab82/default.htm

Hope this may help someone sometime

loislane1 and mermy like this.
  9. mermy

mermy Occasional commenter

Thanks, spanboy, very useful to know. I managed to get to China without notarization (no idea how?!?) and when I move on I'll likely not get away with it again, so will look into the link you sent.

spanboy likes this.
  10. spanboy

You're welcome @mermy - as far as I know (for your possible future reference) they need your original passport, original degree copy (both of which you get back in a couple of days and unblemished) and a handwritten declaration letter in both English & Chinese (which I am copying from a template that has been issued to me, and then simply filling in the personal variables like name, dob etc).
    I'm amazed you managed to swerve around the notarization to get here...well done, lol!!! :)

mermy likes this.
  11. nishanttchand

nishanttchand New commenter

@spanboy Really appreciate your post here. I'm actually stuck in a similar situation. I'm a graduate from Nottingham. My HR tried that link and says that we need to enter the degree number first to upload any materials.
    My question is did you upload your docs to get verified? Or sent your degree, passport and other materials to the concerned bureau. Appreciate your help :)

spanboy likes this.
  12. GreenGlover

GreenGlover New commenter

Our school's HR department does this for new staff by sending the documents back to an agent in UK who completes the process and then invoices the school.

13. nishanttchand

@GreenGlover Do you guys need to send the original degree to the agent?

14. spanboy

@nishanttchand No, I didn't do anything - I gave my HR dept the link, and handed over my passport and degree original - they handled everything. I was concerned that they would 'deface' my original certificate with stamps etc but they assured me they wouldn't and they didn't, true to their word. I got my certificate and passport back a couple of weeks later and now have it all sorted, so it does work.

15. nishanttchand

@spanboy Can I chat with you somehow? Over an email or Wechat?

16. GreenGlover

GreenGlover New commenter

I believe the original is required, as it is sent via one of the couriers

17. spanboy

Yes sure @nishanttchand - start a conversation/pm with me here and I'll get back to you

18. nishanttchand

@spanboy How many days did it take to receive your Education verification letter, after submitting everything?

19. spanboy

I never actually got anything back in my hand except certificate and passport - can't remember exactly, maybe 3 weeks??