1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

UK burnout and destinations overseas !

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by rwood964, Dec 12, 2018.

1. rwood964

rwood964 New commenter

Hi all, been a regular reader of this forum without actually posting or commenting on it, but i thought i'd get involved !
    Having taught as a TEFL teacher in Thailand for 2 years in my early twenties, i saw that the net was closing on unqualified teachers, with little progression in salaries and minimal job security or progression. Therefore, i decided to come back to the UK, do a Masters in International Business (my core subject) and a PGCE. A few years on, i have worked for a year and a half at one of the top independent boarding schools in the country, teaching business, but also coaching several sports and doing various pastoral duties...these schools really do demand their pound of flesh. I am no stranger to hard work and while the holidays are great, term time is 110mph, to the point where there is little time for partners, friends, hobbies etc. Towards the end of last term, i calculated that i was working 73 hours a week, which when you weigh up the personal cost and salary, isn't really worth it. The students are fantastic as are the facilities, but life somewhat passes by because of the commitment involved. It's 6 'full' days a week, something which has ultimately ruined a couple of relationships and resulted in me losing contact with friends !

Sob story aside, i now realise that this probably it's feasible long term and i am looking for positions abroad. I am reasonably qualified with a Hons Degree, MSc and PGCE and have some sports coaching qualifications. I know the question is raised a lot on this forum, but whereabouts in the world is the best place to look, in terms of having a really healthy, work-life balance, but also a good salary that will enable me to pay off a mortgage back in the UK? I think it's important to work with students who are motivated to learn, so any suggestions ? What can i expect from an International school in terms of workload, pastoral commitments, sports commitments ?

Thanks

2. moscowbore

moscowbore Senior commenter

Impossible to answer in generalities.

I think it is fair to say that most teachers who go international experience a much improved work/life balance.

However, a few end up in schools which also demand a proper pound of flesh. Schools change , usually when management change. Some schools were once excellent places to work and are now terrible. That is life I suppose.

There is no one place where life is better. Thailand has some excellent schools which allow for healthy work/life balance. Recent experience of friends has shown me that one particular school which has a very good reputation has now become like an English school awaiting an OFSTED inspection. Data obsessions have traveled from England.

Best to scan the job ads in TES and Guardian. Investigate a job you fancy. Apply. This can be lengthy as some of the schools require you to fill in a bespoke form which is impossible to cut and paste into. If you get any interviews go to them as they are great learning experiences. Ask questions on here as someone on here must know the school you are interested in.

Best of luck.

3. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

For some strange reason that I have never really understood, one or two misguided people have made contact with a smelly old hippopotamus.