1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

UK Assistant Headteacher emigrating to NSW

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by looir, Jan 27, 2016.

1. looir

looir New commenter

Hi,
    I am currently an assistant headteacher (vice principal) in the UK and have been granted the 189 visa. We are emigrating in August and I would very much appreciate some advice on the following:
    1. When is the best time to look for jobs for a Sept start?
    2. Will I be considered for vice principal jobs in Australia even though my experience is in the UK?
    3. When do teaching jobs advertised now, start?
    4. Is it best to go through an agency, or apply to schools directly?
    Thank you very much for any help and advice you can offer

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

How exciting for you!

Now for your questions. I have absolutely NO knowledge of teaching in Australia, but I know someone who does!

Look at the Teaching Overseas forum. Do a search on that forum for Australia (use the Seach Forums box at the top of every page).

Read in particular Teaching in Australia (from an Aussie)

And if you don't find answers to all your questions there, post a query on the forum. Make sure that you search first, and that you say in the forum that you have found some information that way, read that thread; I think that sometimes they get a bit fed up with people who don't bother to look and expect everyone to just repeat other information!

;)

Good luck as you start planning your big adventure!

3. paultrfc

paultrfc New commenter

Hi there,
    I have been teaching in VIC for about 10 years now.

1. When is the best time to look for jobs for a Sept start?
    Jobs for the new academic year (FEB - DEC) are normally advertised around November / December.
    However jobs are advertised all the time, just more during that period.

2. Will I be considered for vice principal jobs in Australia even though my experience is in the UK?
    If not VP then leading teacher positions would be a good entry point.

3. When do teaching jobs advertised now, start?
    They will start all the time, however as we have only just started our academic year (1st full week over today !) there are not as many positions and most of them now are fixed contract, as most permanent jobs were filled last year.

4. Is it best to go through an agency, or apply to schools directly?
    http://www.dec.nsw.gov.au/about-us/careers-centre
    If it is like VIC all government school jobs are advertised on one website. Each state does things differently. Independent schools and Catholic schools will do it differently.

Make sure you have your NSW teaching card. Each state has its own teaching card. NO card - NO teach!

Hope this helps..

I am looking to move back to the UK after 10 years away ! So I will probably be asking similar questions soon.
    Cheers..