1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

UK and the EU

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by spanboy, Nov 26, 2015.

1. spanboy

spanboy Occasional commenter

As the UK are probably going to have a referendum re: staying in the EU or not come 2017 (or even 2016), does anyone have any ideas how it could affect British citizens who are resident abroad, particularly in another EU country? Or do you think very little will change, realistically, if it goes ahead?

2. Principal-Skinner

Principal-Skinner Occasional commenter

Yes. Leaving the EU will be a positive. It will lead to positive changes for all Brits, especially overseas. Without EU interference the UK can have more direct trade agreements with non EU countries rather than being tied to EU agreements. This leads to better relations with different nations and more demand for Cambridge and IB schools.

You will get work visas to work in Europe.

Cantandmorecant likes this.
  3. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

Spanboy m'hijo, calma, que no va a suceder.

yasf likes this.
  4. spanboy

spanboy Occasional commenter

De acuerdo...pero, por si acaso...

5. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Driving all the way from the UK to our new home in the mountains, 60km north of Sofia, was not a problem until we got to the border with Bulgaria. Bulgaria was not an EU member, so we had some real difficulties. When I started teaching in Bucharest, Romania was not part of the EU and so Mrs H and I had to make trips to Bulgaria, in order to get round the red-tape nonsense. Then Romania joined the EU and so we did not have to bother getting on the overnight train to Sofia. Therefore I think that it will make things a lot more complicated, if the UK really did vote to leave the EU. The recent tragic events in Paris show that we need greater European co-operation and co-ordination, not less. Therefore I hope that everyone in the UK will wake up to the advantages of EU membership.

yasf likes this.
  6. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

The Confederation of British Industry recognises the need for a more efficient EU but is vigorously campaigning for the UK to stay in.

On principal skinner's suggestion, the little-england idea that we would negotiate our own separate and better trade deals with individual countries, the CBI's deputy director general Katja Hall had this to say:

"while we could negotiate trade deals with the rest of the world, we’d have to agree deals with over 50 countries from scratch just to get back to where we are now, and to do so with the clout of a market of 60 million, not 500."

Nobody at the CBI or anywhere else, has an opinion regarding a potential Brexit's effect on the number of Cambridge and IB schools.

So I tentatively conclude that there will be no such effect at all, one way or the other.

And in similarly hesitant and tentative mode, I opine that there is absolutely no freakin way the brits will vote themselves out of the EU, so Hippo and his missus can continue to criss-cross the continong from Cascais to Constantia with never a border guard in sight.

yasf and hellothisismyusername like this.
  7. SPC2

SPC2 Occasional commenter

If the UK left the EU wouldn't it still be in the EEA (like Norway) and UK nationals still therefore be entitled to free movement within the EU?

8. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

The OP seems to be asking how teachers' European prospects and lives will be impacted in the case of a UK withdrawal.
    I respectfully submit that speculations on this forum are unlikely to influence the eventual answer to this question.

In other words, your guess is as good as anyone else's. Unless that anyone is a politician with insider insight.

9. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

A bit of an off tangent response, but:
    Unfortunately, I think that for many 'Brits' the decision to vote in or out of the EU will be based around their opinion on immigration rather than trade.
    Having been back in the UK since August this year, I can already see a big presence of (wrong) opinions indicating the feeling that immigrants are only here to take our women, houses, jobs, health care and benefits whilst putting very little back in to the country. When they say 'immigrants' these ignorant 'Brits' include all those who are either simply non-white or with some kind of Eastern European descent, many of whom are actually second or third generation and born in the UK many years ago.
    Much of the media, including social media, also jumps on the bandwagon and sees this as newsworthy.
    Personally, I think the reality is that, yes there are some EU immigrants coming to the UK and taking the p***, but the vast majority actually contribute both to the UK community and the UK economy.
    Don't forget that, by working as an overseas teacher, you are also doing similar.

10. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

Anyone voting for the exit on anti-immigrant grounds will be stupid as well as xenophobic, for more than half of immigration to the UK in recent years has come from outside the EU.

And Norway, outside the EU but in the EEA (see SPC2 above) has recently admitted twice as many immigrants from the EU per head of 'native' population, than the UK.

The idea that they come to 'take our women' is especially ridiculous in the light of the legions of heartbreakingly gorgeous females that Romania and Poland, to name but two, have exported to the UK.

11. TimeBomb2015

TimeBomb2015 Occasional commenter

12. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

TB I'm not sure what point you are trying to make, or whether you are expressing your point honestly or sarcastically.

I am not far left nor do I follow any real ideology, just making a comment on what I have observed.

13. TimeBomb2015

TimeBomb2015 Occasional commenter

are you genuinely asking if I'm being sarcastic?

14. BigFrankEM

BigFrankEM Established commenter

As Rumania and Bulgaria both joined the EU on 1st Jan 2007, I do not follow the logic of the post here.

15. BigFrankEM

BigFrankEM Established commenter

Given the pressure on EU borders and what EU President Donald Tusk said about Schengen even before the Paris massacres of 2 weeks ago, this scenario seems unlikely in the extreme; notwithstanding the stance of the UKoGB&sC, which is of course furth of Schengen, on continued EU membership.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
  16. Cantandmorecant

Cantandmorecant Lead commenter

There is no reason why intelligence sharing would stop if we left the EU. It's in everyone's interest that it continues. Having said that, the sharing of intelligence is very patchy and not consistent anyway. So there it is not much to lose there. The events in Paris were as you say tragic. But intelligence sharing, if there was any at all, which doesn't appear to have happened, didn't prevent the tragic event from happening.

17. Cantandmorecant

How is wanting to trade with the rest of the world instead of just Europe a "little-England" idea?

The CBI has often been wrong in its pronouncements on the EU. And catastrophically so when it urged the UK to join the Euro.

18. Cantandmorecant

How can you be so sure?

19. Cantandmorecant

If it chose to be.

Yes

20. Cantandmorecant

Maybe most people are not fooled by the bogus scare stories on loss of trade and jobs. Immigration is the number 1 issue for the majority of people.

So having been back for only 3 months you have already branded the majority of the population as "ignorant" simply because they view the issue of immigration as being the most important one. You don't sound like you have much knowledge of the situation when making such a sweeping generalisation on the majority of a country. It's also not true to say that the "ignorant Brits" as you call them, include as immigrants all non-whites, East Europeans and second or third generation immigrants born in the UK. This could be viewed as quite a racist thing to say. You should wait until you have been back more than three months before you imply that an entire country is racist simply because they have a different view to you.