1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

uh oh...things you should know as a teacher but don't!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by moggycat, Apr 13, 2011.

1. I still don't know what SMT stand for, that's terrible isn't it?

2. I still don't know what SMT stand for, that's terrible isn't it?

3. oops, I do however know how to spell 'teacher' despite initial post!!

4. Senior Management Team.
    Similar to SLT - Senior Leadership Team.

5. Okay, how thick does my las post sound.....? Senior Management Team duh. Knew once I thought about it. ouch, I'm cringing now

6. Or did you mean, you don't know that the abbreviation stands for or you don't know what THEY stand for?
    [​IMG]

7. SleighBelle

SleighBelle Occasional commenter

Yep.... what do you think it stands for? [​IMG]
    Successfully Malingering Trout?
    Simply Moaners Trumping?
    Stressy Miserable Teachers?

I don't know what the point of writing four-sides-of-A4 reports for the parents of Primary aged children is.

8. Unbelievable. It's not that difficult to work out. Maybe start with 'senior' ....

9. ach, you had a black out moment. Not an eternal one. You knew it really [​IMG]

10. Ha, yeah. Can I blame the fact that I am tired with a chest infection??

11. I should have realised that when I posted this I'd get some snotty replies. That's you Highschooler.

12. Thanks Celtic Queen[​IMG]

13. highschooler is often a bit ... tense.
    You knew it really. Many of us have posted threads when we had a black out moment.
    I certainly have xxx

14. Anyway - you're honest, and that stands for a lot. Much better than being snotty any day.

15. ditwee

ditwee New commenter

I don't know what a common single morpheme content/lexical word is, so I can't do my APPs properly. Evidently it is so well known that all other teachers know what it is, so I feel very inadequate asking. I posted a request for a translation on Assessment but haven't had a response yet. Any help, please?

16. Unbelievable. It's not that difficult to work out. Maybe start with 'senior' ....

In our school it stands for 'strategic'

17. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

a content/lexical word is a word that has an independent meaning such as nouns, verbs, adverbs adjectives etc. Their sense can be seen clearly in the sentence/phrase. This contrasts to grammatical function words such as whose, where, when etc.
    A morpheme is the smallest unit of meaning in a word. For instance in the word "colours" "colour" is a morpheme and "s" is a morpheme indicating plurality

I find is disheartening that teachers feel uncomfortable in asking questions of their colleagues. Inquiry and enquiry must surely be the foundation of education

18. bnm

bnm

I suspect, ditwee, that no one else (with the exception of doomz) knows what it is either. I don't think it appears on our APP sheets as we modified them for school use. (Our literacy subject leader is very knowledgeable and she will have translated it for us.)

19. Are you asking me if I'm "Normal for Norfolk"? Or are you asking if the APP glossary is normal for Norfolk?

20. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

whichever causes least offence [​IMG]