1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

UFS Role Play Area First term

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by misssunshine84, Sep 2, 2015.

1. Hi there

What role play areas have you set up for the beginning of term ? I've set up a home corner already but wondering if anyone does anything else different that has been effective in getting to know the children and helping them settle in

Thanks for any ideas :)

2. Nikkibell811

Nikkibell811 New commenter

Hi, we always did a home corner for the first few weeks with kitchen/living and bedroom. We enhanced every week by adding something - a pet, a baby, having a birthday party etc. once children were settled in we often changed to a hairdresser - but had to reinforce the rule about not using real scissors to cut hair ha ha.

If it's reception (rather than nursery) we also set up to play school dinners - using play food and the trays, crockery and cutlery from the dining hall. This helped the children with our lunchtime routines.

3. Hi,

When I was in Year 1, I set up my first role play area of the year with lots of cardboard boxes, then shared the books Not A Box by Antoinette Portis and Whatever Next by Jill Murphy with the children. They went on to use the boxes as pets, boats, houses, castles, etc. It gave me a great chance to see what their interests were, whether they were imaginative or not and how they worked/played cooperatively with each other. Don't know if it's any use to you, but they loved it!