1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

UCAS timeline for year 12 students

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by cschulze, Jan 5, 2011.

1. I wondered if anyone would be willing to share their UCAS timeline for year 12's. I'm interested in seeing when you launch UCAS to students; when you speak to parents, would you suggest a UCAS day to go through everything; your provision for supporting Oxbridge candidates and your expectations re what they should complete before starting y13 (personal statement, UCAS application etc)

Thanks in advance!!

As you'll see from my other sixth form posts. I'm new to this bit keen to make sure I'm
    Doing things right!!!

2. I wondered if anyone would be willing to share their UCAS timeline for year 12's. I'm interested in seeing when you launch UCAS to students; when you speak to parents, would you suggest a UCAS day to go through everything; your provision for supporting Oxbridge candidates and your expectations re what they should complete before starting y13 (personal statement, UCAS application etc)

Thanks in advance!!

As you'll see from my other sixth form posts. I'm new to this bit keen to make sure I'm
    Doing things right!!!

3. Hi,

I can certainly give you an idea of what we do in a lrage Scottish Secondary school.

We raise the prospect of UCAS as soon as the S6 students (upper sixth?) start - this happens before summer in around June. Our S5 social education programme has a unit on preparing for the personal statement. At the early stages we discuss choices and encourage summer visits to Universities

When we return from summer in mid-August we immediately raise the prospect with our pupil UCAS conference being held around the 1st or 2rd of September. At this kids are given the buzzword for apply and talked through the application process. The parent information evening is held the same week.

1st draft personal statements are to be handed to Gudiance staff a fortnight later and applications are to be marked as complete prior to the break mid October. On return in November, Staff confidential references with estimated grades should be completed and returned to Guidance staff who then have until the start of December to complete the references and approve the applications.

All applications are sent by mid to late December.

All 'special' applications e.g. conservetoires and Oxbridge are done in consultation with Guidance staff and the kids are expected to manage this with support.

It is a very tight turn-around and there will always be a bit of lag but my advice is never let it go beyond Christmas.

Anything else just ask

K